create page / page not found
Recently we have started coming up with an error when we attempt to create a page. No changes have been made to web,config file etc.. We go to pages, then create a page. Fill out the info and click on create and add content. This is where we get the Page Not Found error. Image of error attached. We go back to pages and the page is there but as a draft. Click on draft page and we can now edit and publish it. Page will show in menu right away but takes awhile for it to show live, get a 404 error if we click on the menu link right away.
That's the bad thing about AJAX, you never know when its ready for you or not. You never know if its doing something or not, unless there is a progress bar implemented. So then you have to implement progress bars everywhere which defeats teh purpose. Can't wait for Sitefinity 5.1 when speed meets AJAX. That will be nice.
I have a very similar situation on a client site where suddenly it isn't possible to create different language versions of two existing pages. The sequence of actions and the error message is precisely the same as in Rob's case, except we can't edit the page at all after it bombs with the "Page not found" error. Each time we try to edit the draft that has been created before the exception was thrown, we get "Page not found" again.
Not sure where to look for potential causes anymore. The log files don't recored anything other than the details shown in Rob's screenshot and there are no inner exceptions ...
Did anyone else have this problem and find a solution?
Update: the situation originally occurred on Sitefinity 4.3.1885.0. I just upgraded the project to the latest version (5.0.2523.0) to see if the problem would be gone but it is still there.
HI Team Telerik,
I am also facing the same issue. We have migrated the project from 3.7sp4 to 4.4 version, we have started receiving page not found error for many pages on edit and also on view. What might be the possible problem?
If few people are facing this issue, why is Sitefinity Team reluctant to reply to all these?
here is a potential remedy for this issue which I received from support:
Check if the *parent* page of the problematic page has translated versions and if so, make sure that their URLs are different and not the same, i.e. the English parent page URL is ~/my-parent-page and the German, Spanish or whatever language page URL is *not* ~/my-parent-page but something else instead, such as ~/my-spanish-parent-page. Then you should be able to create the desired child page(s) without problem.
This resolved the problem in my case. Hope this helps in your situation, too.
I have started investigating the problems that you have, so would you please write down the exact urls that you have and then get 404? Do you have some additional urls added in 3.7, before the migration?
I am working on the problems you have discussed and will stay in touch with you in this topic.
All the best,
Thanks for the suggestion Siddesh. Our site is unilingual and still having the problem.
Hi Team Telerik,
Yes. I have additional URLs for almost all the pages. The URLs aare relative (starting with '~/').
Let me explain you the scenario with an example.
I migrate all the pages, The pages are migrated. Say there are around 10 pages in my start node.
Each node has additional 10 pages. Few pages in the sub node work and few do not. To get the pages to work, I create another sub node and move the pages from one node to another. It works fine.
Now in this case, Few other pages from the moved pages stop working and the other (earlier which were not working) start working. So my problem remains the same.
Would you please open a ticket for your problem and send me your project and I'll take a look at it and investigate the possible reason for this.
All the best,
Hi Team Telerik,
Would you please open a ticket and mention there that you have a large DB and project and we'll provide you with FTP where to upload all of your data. This message is addressed to Rob, too.
I work with Rob. Unfortunately due to the sensitive nature of our intranet material, we cannot upload our database to you. We have not created additional URLs for any of our pages. It seems to be a threading issue - we can get to the page later, it just seems to be trying to access the page before it has actually finished being created.