[Heads up] Postpone new version 5 Small Business Edition pro

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 21:03

[Heads up] Postpone new version 5 Small Business Edition projects

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2012 00:00

Hey,

When creating a new project through the project manager on version 5 and adding a Small Business Edition license to it, the project ends up broken. 

Suspicion:
There seems to be an installation/activation issue with the 'Library provider' resulting in no access to images, videos and documents. Likely caused by the last minute changes to the FileProvider. 

Symptoms:
Under content images, documents and video aren't available. In the widget section the Video widget and Document link are unavailable. Under Administration>Settings>Storage provider one can't choose for filestorage.

Cure:
Not yet. I've filed a priority ticket and have been in phone contact with Telerik, at the moment it's being tested. 

Confirmation:
I've confirmed this error with 3 different project managers and 3 different SBE licenses. The Professional and Enterprise edition seem to be not affected. I have not tested it with a standard license (ecommerce is an add-on not sure how the FileProvider affects that)

Cause for panic:
Nope, but since there's no solution yet - you might (or may not) lose project progress or spend some hours tweaking once a bug fix is presented. So this is merely a cautionary post, feel free to go ahead.

Jochem. 

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2012 00:00

Jochem was kind enough to give me a heads up on this.  The support team wasn't able to investigate or confirm this today, however they'll attempt to reproduce tomorrow.  We'll then recommend fixes or hotfixes.  More tomorrow...

Thanks Jochem for the report.

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Mar-2012 00:00

There are other problems as well. Upgrade and new install of SBE results in an error when attempting to configure storage providers: admin->settings->basic->storage providers. 

IMHO, this is a major bug - existing upgraded SBE projects fail to load if alternate storage providers are configured, as well as brand new projects, cannot configure the storage providers at all. 

Server Error in '/' Application.

The ContentViewDefinition with name 'BlobStorageBackend' does not exist in configuration files. 
           You should either add the ContentViewDefiniton with such name to the configuration;
           change ControlDefinitionName or load ControlDefinition programatically by setting 
           the ControlDefinition property.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: The ContentViewDefinition with name 'BlobStorageBackend' does not exist in configuration files. 
           You should either add the ContentViewDefiniton with such name to the configuration;
           change ControlDefinitionName or load ControlDefinition programatically by setting 
           the ControlDefinition property.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[InvalidOperationException: The ContentViewDefinition with name 'BlobStorageBackend' does not exist in configuration files. 
            the ControlDefinition property.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI.ContentView.get_ControlDefinition() +410
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI.ContentView.ResolveContentManager() +25
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI.ContentView.ResolveDetailItem() +127
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI.ContentView.CreateChildControls() +71
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +182
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeControl.get_Controls() +24
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlTraverser.GetDepthFirst() +40
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlTraverser.MoveNext() +52
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ResourceLinks.FindTypedControl(String id, Type searchType, TraverseMethod method) +513
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ResourceLinks.FindControl(String id, Control root) +225
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ResourceLinks.SetResourceProperty(EmbeddedResourcePropertySetter resProp) +52
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ResourceLinks.CreateChildControls() +704
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +182
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +60
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4201

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

@Chris,

I mentioned the Storage Provider issue and you're likely to come across the other errors as well since you're running into this issue - but as a quick fix for the BlobStorageBackend ContentViewDefinition you can do the following:

Locate the ContentViewConfig.config in the App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration folder and edit it. Around line 100 you'll see a bunch of <config link> lines, add this one to it:

<config:link definitionName="BlobStorageBackend" path="librariesConfig/contentViewControls/BlobStorageBackend" module="Libraries" />

Update
I've been in further contact with Telerik through support and they've confirmed and isolated the issue and are (friday afternoon) working on a fix.

Note
This is not a cure or fix for the issues at hand, this merely restores the ContentViewDefinition, so you can access the storage provider section. All the other underlying problems still exist...

Jochem, 

Thanks for the reply. That configuration change makes the error go away, and I'm also suspecting it's the root cause of other 4.4->5.0 upgrade problems I've been having. But you're right, it doesn't actually fix the problem.

I can, however, confirm that the Standard edition seems unaffected by this bug. Looks like it's only SBE with the error. Hope telerik releases a fix/workaround/patch ASAP. 

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello guys,

We confirm the issue, and it affects only Small Business Edition versions. 
We'll provide a fix for this issue today.

@Jochem - thanks for the heads up and the additional information.

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Georgi

Is this bug just effecting new SB projects or also updates. There is another thread reporting multiple problems on updates.

Markus

PS: Please do not forget about us small businesses out here in the world. Test for us as well.

@Markus,

As you saw on Chris' reply this is effecting the entire Small Business Edition, upgrade or fresh install although symptoms may vary. Otherwise I wouldn't have put out such a warning...

Jochem.

I noticed a hotfix was just posted:

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity/general-discussions/sitefinity-5-0-hotfix-1-released.aspx

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Hi,

Hotfix 1 update has been released, which fixes the problem.

@Markus - upgrades are affected as well. The problem is caused in an Install and Upgrade script sharing the same piece of code. I want to follow up on the statement for testing though.

We are testing all editions, regardless of how many customers we have with each license. A lot of unit, integration and automatic UI tests are actually shared. We've missed this one, since we've tested with a small error in one of the test licenses, issued weeks before the official licenses. Unfortunately we all know what small errors can do.

We are committed to provide fixes for all editions as soon as possible, especially if something is blocking your work, guys. 

Thanks Jochem and Christopher, for all the feedback, once again.

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Geori
Once again thank's for the great work and the quick fix-up. Some stuff just happens - I know. Seen it myself.
Great to have a chance to update now. Also a big thank's for providing the translations at the same time as the releases.
Markus

I've downloaded the Hotfix and ran the upgrade from the Project manager... Since I already had the broken project I needed a few extra steps:

Go to the SystemConfig.config file and remove the <add version="5.0.2500.0" name="Libraries" /> line.
Go to administration > Version &licensing and choose Update License.
Log out and close the project manager.

Afterwards my content items and widgets were restored and so far without any loss of data... Kudos to the team for the swift during the weekend response!

This thread is closed