Unpublish a page - link remains.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 13:17

Unpublish a page - link remains.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Mar-2012 00:00

I've only just started developing with Sitefinity but I am sure in the last version of SF (4.4?) that when I unpublished a page or file, all links to that page were then removed - or did I dream this?

I created some links in SF 5 and then unpublished the files / pages and I am now getting 404 messages.

Have I missed something in the setup somewhere?

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello,

It is normal for unpublished pages to throw a 404 error - this is the default behavior in unpublished pages. This behavior has remained the same throughout the previous versions of Sitefinity.

Please let us know if you have anymore questions or concerns.

Greetings,
Grace Hallwachs
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Apr-2016 00:00

Is this still the case? Can I override the default behaviour to throw a 302 instead

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Apr-2016 00:00

Hi Matthew,

When you unpublish a page it's link into controls such as the Navigation widget for example will be automatically removed so you don't need to concern with it.

However if a link to that page has been added to a content block widget, after the page is being unpublished, it will throw a 404 not fount if a user tries to follow it. 

You can either go and manually remove such links from the content blocks throughout the project (if you have any) or you can use UrlRewrite to point them to whatever location with needed status:

http://docs.sitefinity.com/seo-use-url-rewrite-for-iis

https://www.stormconsultancy.co.uk/blog/development/tips-tricks/handling-301-and-302-redirects-with-iis-7-url-rewrite/

Regards,
Pavel Benov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed