Editor Buttons Missing in IE
Occasionally, the icons in Sitefinity's RadEditor go missing. I can still hover over where they should be and get tool tip. I can even CLICK on the buttons. But I can't see them.
I'm sure the graphic file that has the icons isn't loading on the affected client machine. I have had it happen on more than one computer. I believe it to be a client issue since the icons appear on another computer and another browser.
Generally it happens on IE. I tried to refresh the page. Shift+refresh the page. Still no icons.
Any idea how to get those icons/images to load?
Thank you for using our services. That's very strange behavior, indeed. We're loading the icons from the default backend theme, can you please check under Adminstration->Settings->Advanced->Appearance if the Editor CSS calss property is set, and if not, can you please try setting it to Sitefinity and check if the problems persist. We were not able to reproduce the issue on our side, however it'd be very usfeful to us if you could point out a specific pattern to reproducing the problem, if it persists, so we can study it further. Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.Regards,
We were also experiencing this issue on an individual machine running IE. By using the developer tools in IE, I was able to see what was going on in our case:
- The webresource request that provides the css for the radeditor was cached in IE and no matter what I did to clear the cache, it always returned a 304 from the server and wasn't updated.
- The cached css was referencing another webresource URL for the sprite image that is used for all of the button icons on the radeditor. That webresource URL was returning a 404.
In the end, I lowered the FrontendResourcesCacheDuration setting under Administration->Settings->Advanced->Appearance in an attempt to stop the server from always returning a 304 on the css request. After restarting everything and making sure the timeout had passed, we refreshed the page. The CSS was refreshed from the server and it gave us a new WebResource URL for the sprite image that was valid instead of a 404. The icons are now all displaying happily.
I don't know how some webresource links were expired while others were still listed as valid, but I don't care now that I've solved my immediate problem.
I've now returned the FrontendResourcesCacheDuration setting back up to it's original value and the site is back to running normally.
I am glad to hear that the problem has been fixed. Thank you for sharing the information with the community.
the Telerik team