Category Filtering

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:37

Category Filtering

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Mar-2012 00:00

I have a Dynamic module control, and out content editor just spent two days entering in all the data (good)

PROBLEM though is that he categorized them by choosing the child category
So if this is the structure
LEVEL1 (group)
- SUBITEM1 (group)
--- SUBITEM 2 (unique)

He tagged them with SUBITEM2 (which is right for us), but that means we can't have our list then show all items under SUBITEM1 (even though technically SUBITEM2 is a child of it)

So I guess the question is that, is the hierarchy for display purposes only, or is there an option somewhere to have the list give me all items regardless of their child node.  So if I set the list by category "LEVEL1" then anything tagged with a category as a child of that will get displayed.

So also on those same lines if he was to go back and CHANGE the category by adding a new one it hides the previously selected categories thereby making it appear as if it wiped out the previous choices so he has to go back in and re-select everything plus the new one.

Steve

Here's a real world example: I want my list to show me all items who have been classified under the MF#

If you see filter2.png to the user that will happen as you can see it right there in the tag name. I shouldn't have to do what you see in filter3.png

I think it should at least be an option to toggle.
So if I had categories like this:
HardDrives
-Internal
--UGLY ONES
-External
--USB2.0
--USB3.0

When I click Harddrives I want to see everything, then filter out based on that

@Steve,

Although it's hierarchical in the sense that taxonomies/departments it selves are grouped by a parent, content items are matched to an individual taxonomy/department.

This means you're basically euhm... well you know... 

---
@Telerik
There are arguments for and against this way of implementation, but on this case I'm on Steve's side.

Pro: For instance on a 'department' level you might have a parent group called 'drilling machines' and a child department called 'drilling bits'. Naturally when viewing the parent group you don't want to see products from the child group (drilling bits).

Against: For instance the taxonomy 'service industry' might hold subcategories like 'legal', 'consulting firms' and 'ad agencies'. In this case all elements in the child nodes should be part of the parent node as well...

When using Taxonomies, you'd expect to have a choice whether 'child elements' should be included into the result. Currently there's no way to do this...

For it (as a developer to work) I'd first have to retrieve all child nodes. Then for each child node add the results to the 'parent resultset' and loop through all the individual child nodes one at a time. (Time and data consuming).

For Sitefinity to make this work, would be to alter the query a bit based on a checkbox.
- not include children > do the same as now.
- include children > change the query to "where parentid=".." instead of id="..."

---

This is a modification that's so small, but would be so helpful, it shouldn't even deserve a PITS number ;) because it's not a bug or a feature request but in many cases a time saving necessity.

Jochem.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Apr-2012 00:00

I'm going to commit a forum sin, and bump this back up so we can get an official response :)

This thread is closed