Page Editor Breaks when you make changes to the master page/

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:31

Page Editor Breaks when you make changes to the master page/template. Sitefinity 4.4

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi there,

When we make changes to our master pages/templates, pages using them end up broken in the page editor in Sitefinity.

If you look at the attached image you'll see some garbage text appearing above the Sitefinity admin Title and Top Buttons.

The worst thing is that we can't do anything to fix it. The page is dead, none of the drag and drop features work, the buttons on the page (Publish, etc.) are dead. It's all broken.

This means we have to go through all the pages and recreate them. How is that possible?

Regards,
Jacques

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Apr-2012 00:00

Hey Jacques,

Do you mean that you can perfectly create new pages based on those changed master pages/templates - just not edit the old ones?

Have you tried temporarily setting the theme of the template back to 'basic', this should get rid of all styling issues. (content will look bad, but functionality should be restored)

If that's not the case then perhaps you removed a placeholder or made a typo in the code that inadvertently closes the code premature so the footer gets dropped to the top. 

Thirdly if things are still borked, try removing the <head> placeholder and the scriptmanager.

Sorry I don't have any conclusive answers, but hope it helps.
Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Apr-2012 00:00

Thanks for the reply Jochem, I appreciate it.
The thing is that the edit page is altogether dead. We can't change the layout back to basic or do anything at all.

What makes you think that removing the head placeholder and script manager will make a difference?

Regards,
Jacques

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Apr-2012 00:00

Hey Jacques,

Because a header placeholder is the only non-asp.net compatible issue you run into when using standard masterpages as templates. 

Take the screenshot for instance. This was a perfectly ok, typography sample (1 column). I opened Notepad, added a placeholder to the head and re-opened the page & masterpage in Sitefinity....

---
Since my template was empty, it just generates an empty white space above the Sitefinity panel, but the left image is the page-editor where you see the content has been moved from the body placeholder (1st placeholder in old version) moved up to the head section (1st placeholder in new version). 

Aside from the fact that there shouldn't be content in the <head> it totally breaks page functionality....

Jochem

This thread is closed