Migration sitefinity 4.3.1885 to 5.0.2500

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:20

Migration sitefinity 4.3.1885 to 5.0.2500

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi,
in compatibility range version but not that easy....
A real hell to migrate solution on developer computer. After a brief hope when the solution finally works, but reality catches up with you.

Our solution can't run in release mode and this isn't the end. We are working on several environments, so we have multiple databases (before production) on a single project.

We manage to migrate development database, but when we deploy our solution on a server to upgrade sitefinity version. The project run only on debug mode and solution doesn't updated correctly. So to update each database, we must return to source previous version and do the update by connecting to database locally?

Really this is not serious, how can you sell a product in this state....

Regards,
Nicolas

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi,

For the record, it's the other way around for me: my SF 5.0 site works in Release mode, but not in Debug mode.
And on a copy of the same project which is still under SF 4.3, it stopped working in Release mode, and now only works in Debug mode. Weird!

When it doesn't work, the exception is:

Server Error in '/' Application.

No collection element matches the given key in a remove operation.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Configuration.Provider.ProviderException: No collection element matches the given key in a remove operation.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ProviderException: No collection element matches the given key in a remove operation.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadCollectionElement(ConfigElementCollection collection, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo) +2917
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo, Boolean isNew, Boolean validateTagName) +398
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadPropertyElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo) +482
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadElement(ConfigElement element, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, UpgradingInfo upgradingInfo, Boolean isNew, Boolean validateTagName) +435
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadSectionFromReader(ConfigSection section, XmlReader reader, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean checkForUpgrade, UpgradingInfo& upgradingInfo) +422
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadSectionFromFile(ConfigSection section, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean withUpgrade) +136
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.LoadSection(ConfigSection section, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName) +126
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigSection.Initialize(ConfigProvider provider, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName, Boolean singlePolicy) +260
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigSection.Initialize(ConfigProvider provider) +45
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Config.Get(Boolean safeMode) +254
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Config.Get() +71
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.RegisterRoutes(RouteCollection routes) +938
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Bootstrap() +324
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication context) +112
   System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.System.Web.IHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication application) +10
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModulesCommon() +80
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModules() +43
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitInternal(HttpContext context, HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers) +828
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetNormalApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +304
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +107
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +327

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.225

Now, allow me to gently troll a little bit, because it eases my pain.

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi,
I made others tests and it seems compilation problem occurs in version 5.0.2523.

Regards,
Nicolas

Hello,

The error that you are experiencing is quite strange, as we have upgraded numerous sites on different environments without having such issues.

However I could not really get all the details about the workflow that you are following to upgrade your project to 5.0. If possible, can you provide the steps that you take to upgrade Sitefinity as well as the changes that are made to the solution, so we can try to reproduce it locally.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi,

From the tests Nicolas did: upgrading to 5.0 seems to work fine (after messing with our config files a little bit, that is), but not with the 5.0 hotfix version (5.0.2523). We still need to do more testing, but since the hotfix doesn't matter for us (because we're on the Enterprise Edition), we may just stick to 5.0 vanilla. We'll post back with more details.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for sharing the information with me. We have made numerous tests on our test environments, but we could not reproduce the error so any additional information would be helpful. I want to note that we have just released the SP1 for 5.0 so you can also try to upgrade to it, instead of the 5.0 2523 build.

All the best,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi Victor,

Can you confirm whether we can directly upgrade from 4.3 to 5.0 SP1, or does it have to be done in 2 steps?

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Apr-2012 00:00

Hello Thomas,

Upgrading to 5.0 is officially supported from version 4.3 and 4.4. However since 5.0 SP1 is our latest version, newer than 5.0 I would suggest you to move first to 4.4 or 5.0 before upgrading to SP1. I have made some tests on my environment, by upgrading sample projects to 5.0 SP1, without encountering problems. However if you have a lot of custom controls and other data you may encounter some issues, therefore I would suggest to run the upgrade process on a test / staging environment and observe the behaviour of the project after the upgrade.

All the best,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed