Updating a template does not change underlying content pages

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 18:11

Updating a template does not change underlying content pages

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-May-2012 00:00

I am currently using Sitefinity v. 5.0.2523.0 SB. I recently changed a Page Template and then looked at all of my underlying pages. I noticed that none of my underlying pages that derived from that template had been updated/refreshed and were still using the old Page Template! When I used Sitefinity v. 3.7, I could simply change the Master Page and then all of my derived pages would automatically be updated. However, in this scenario, I have to manually update all of the pages and there is not even a simple "re-publish" for all Pages in a particular group. I thought the whole point of creating Page Templates was that so individual pages would not have to be modified when the Template changes? Is there something wrong with my logic for the practical use of a Page Template??

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jun-2012 00:00

Hi Samir, I have the same problem and this is valid also for widget templates. I have to manually republish each page. Additionally when I change template used by multiple widget, the change is not reflected and I have to go to each page containing the widget, click edit template on the widget, and only then the changes are reflected. Actually Sitefinity is so buggy that I'm glad I'm nearly at the end of my project... I'm even not going to spend my support ticket on this...

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jun-2012 00:00

Hey Samir,

You're not doing anything wrong. Its sort of a caching issue.

When you change a template, by adding or changing a widget the change just doesn't immediately gets reflected. If you republish a page and visit it, you're essentially forcing a refresh which picks up the changes from the db.

It's annoying yes, but you're not doing anything wrong...

Jochem.

Hi Jochem,

I think its a bug, because the system should do it automatically. Or better, unfinished feature...

Robert

Hey Robert,

You are right - it is. I just wanted to point out to Samir he's not doing anything wrong nor manually has to republish everything. (Hadn't seen his original forum post, just noticed your bump)

There is already a bug filed in PITS (#9704) concerning template changes not being reflected since October 2011. It current status is 'in progress', so maybe we'll see this fixed in v5.1

Jochem

Hi Jochem, thanks for clarifying the situation, however it doesn't help much even if it's coming in upcoming patch, now I have to manually update everything. I just don't understand how they can even release the product with such a bug. I think this is a pretty basic stuff.

@Robert,

Just plug in your SQL to the wall outlet instead of republishing everything manually :) 

As far as the 'pretty basic' is concerned, sql caching with orm's usually isn't covered in 101 its a bug and a annoying yes but widget updates not instantly being reflected on a page edit are a bigger pain. Templates are usually edited by developers, widgets often by end-users who instantly grab the phone...

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Dec-2014 00:00

Was there ever a solution to this? Is there a way to clean the cache of all pages?

Is there a better way to handle things like site-wide navigation widget template changes, or sitewide master template changes so the change propagates to all child pages without needing to re-publish each one-by-one?

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Dec-2014 00:00

Hello,

This issue has been resolved. In our latest version (Sitefinity 7.2) everything works as expected. You might consider an upgrade to this version where this problem could not be encountered.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. 

Regards,
Ferdi Nebiev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed