Null reference error in RSS feeds

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:13

Null reference error in RSS feeds

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-May-2012 00:00

I'm seeing a LOT of these errors in my event log, something to do with the RSS feed for blog posts. Any ideas where to start tracking this down?
Thanks
Ryan

Exception information:
    Exception type: NullReferenceException
    Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Publishing.Web.PublishingHttpHandler.SetPipeContext(IPipe rssFeed, String requestUrl, HttpRequest request, RssFormatOutputSettings originalSettings)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Publishing.Web.PublishingHttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Posted by Community Admin on 28-May-2012 00:00

Hello,

Possible reason might be that there are elements that can not be translated from RSS to HTML.

For example if you copy and paste a word document you will received the same error, because the RSS can not translate the special symbols in the document. But the error you are getting is general error so can you please tell me is there a problem in the backend of Siteifnity or it is observing only in the log?

Please send us additional information about what is the pattern of reproducing the problem or what steps lead to it.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jun-2012 00:00

Hi Stefani
Sorry for the delay in replying, we're still trying to pin this down.

Content is being pasted in from Word, but via the Paste from word option, so the MSWord styles should have been stripped out.

The only other thing that could be causing it is the image links in the RSS feed items are still in the sitefinity format e.g. src="[images]80c4262c-5729-49fe-955f-61e03fb87cd4"

Ryan

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jun-2012 00:00

Hi,

What you are experiencing is really unusual. I am not able to reproduce it on our side. You can open a support ticket and send us a back up of your database and project in order to investigate the problem deeply. Additionally it would be good for us to have a screenshot of the error and the name of the problematic feed.

Greetings,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jun-2012 00:00

Thanks Stefani - i've submitted a support ticket. I've changed the publication settings from SmartFeed to RSS and Atom and the error has not been logged since so it's something to do with the SmartFeed settings.
Ryan

This thread is closed