Migrate your site from 3.7 to newest version on Dashboard (M

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:12

Migrate your site from 3.7 to newest version on Dashboard (Migration Module off)

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jul-2012 00:00

Ok I have been bitching about the 3.7 migration on the dashboard a lot since all new 4.0 to 5.1 installation have no need of this. And if you are a programmer in process of migrating there should be another way to start the migration process.

This said once again here comes a smalll problem

If you disable the migration module the link will not do any good. 
So I went back to the Admin - Modules and aciveted the migration module, then the link complained about the  forums not beeing active, then the blogs, then the news.

So would it not make sense to at least hide the Migration stuff if you deactivate the migration module. Otherwise. Some smart user, who is forced to see the dashboard first, might click on it.

Kind regards 
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jul-2012 00:00

Could just edit the backend page and add a couple lines of JS to do it

Like it's probably a hardcoded thing that they'd have to make dynamic

$(".sfHighlights:nth-child(2)").hide();
 OR
$(".sfHighlights:nth-child(2)").html("<a href='/Sitefinity/Pages'>Edit Pages</a>");

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jul-2012 00:00

Dear Steve

Once again thank's for your great detailed response. I really do value your efford a lot. I truly is a easy way to get rid of that migration part :-) Which I think should happen when you deactivate the migration module.

Do you know what happens if you update to 5.2. Are backend pages never effected in updates. This was my fist backend page amendment.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jul-2012 00:00

I don't KNOW what happens but here's what I'm going to guess...

When they update the "Dashboard" it's just updating the widget itself, what you put on the page will probably stick around.  The alternative would be to delete all controls from the page, then re-add a new dash widget? (that seems less likely)

...just guesses though :)

This thread is closed