Share Content in Sitefinity Page Templates

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 02:42

Share Content in Sitefinity Page Templates

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jul-2012 00:00

In Sitefinity v. 3.7x, I could create Shared Content and then use that in a Page Template.

However, I have not seen this feature/capability in any release of Sitefinity v. 4.x or Sitefinity v. 5.x.  

This was an extremely useful feature since I could simply place it once on a Page Template (such as Address Information or a Footer etc.) and it would automatically be inherited in all of my pages.

The current method of using Shared Content is very cumbersome since it requires placing the Shared Content block on all pages, even for something as simple as a footer.  

The only way I have been able to get around it right now has been to build the functionality as a custom widget and then place it on my Page Template.  

But considering this is pretty much wasted development effort, it would be much better if Sitefinity simply brought back the Shared Content capabilities for Page Templates.

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jul-2012 00:00

I agree. For a site that has a handful of templates this creates a lot of extra work and code duplication. Is there an alternative to using shared content in templates that I am unaware of?

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jul-2012 00:00

Just adding to the discussion, I'd like to see this brought back as well.  I thought I found a workaround here and although it does look like it works initially, it actually doesn't.  When I edit a shared piece of content from a page, it states that it is going to update the content block shared across the board but then it returns a zero and doesn't actually save the change. 

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jul-2012 00:00

Hmmm... yes I tried the workaround and thought it worked as well, until I had to update a shared content item. It appears to be updated but the site does not appear to reflect the changes. Also, the other templates do not reflect the changes.

Seriously, does anyone have a solution to this? I really just want to use my own MasterPages and define my own contentplaceholders without using the whole template builder thing. Am I totally missing something?

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Apr-2013 00:00

I just stumbled upon this as I am searching for the answer as well. I am using 5.2 and there is a "shared content" as there was in 3.7. You find it under Content - Content Blocks. Through some testing and reading the documentation, it seems like you can only use shared content at the page level and not at the template level like we were able to in 3.7. Telerik, you should really bring this back! It was a nice feature to be able to use shared content at the template level for setting up footer information etc. 

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Apr-2013 00:00

Dear Sharlyne

Your wish has been granted :-)

The feature is back since version 5.3 http://www.telerik.com/versionnotes.aspx?id=3101 

Markus

This thread is closed