Deploying my code killed my dev site

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:58

Deploying my code killed my dev site

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Aug-2012 00:00

This sounds so ridiculous I can't believe I'm typing it.  But I've managed to do it twice now and don't know what the heck is going on.

Brand new SF 5.1 site.  Playing around with customizing templates, master pages, themes, etc.  I did some work that I wanted to test pushing up to our "live" dev server that the client can see.

This site was already pushed once, and (so far) still works.  To deploy, I FTP'd the files and imported the data from my dev database.  I then update the data config to point to the new database.

On the second push, I:
1. Switched Visual Studio to Release mode, rebuilt the app.
2. FTP'd ALL of my files from my local system over the top of the previous files.
3. Repushed the "production" data file to point to the live database.

The live site that I pushed to still worked.  

However, I went back to my visual studio, WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING, and hit the run button to run in release mode to check something.  And I get this error for every page of the site:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Http, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Confused, I put it back into Debug mode, ran the app.  Same error.  Closed VS.Net, reopened and tried again.  Same error.  I just don't get it.  In fact, I don't even know where to begin.  Again, I say again, other than rebuilding the project in release mode, I touched absolutely NOTHING.

Has anyone seen this issue before and have a fix? 

Edit: when I say I've done this twice, the way I "fixed" this last time was to start over completely from scratch and create a brand new project.  I can't do that every time I deploy...

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Aug-2012 00:00

Dear Dave

Sorry to hear you got problems. I would create a new, different, blank project and see if the bin folder of the newly created project has the same .dlls as in the one that is not working.

If you have it on production envirement then check if the new project has the same dlls (also verions) as the one on the production site.

Can you get it running localy or does local and remote not working?

Check also the references if they are the same.

Sorry this is a 0.01% help idea. But better then nothing.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Aug-2012 00:00

@Dave Are you doing "Build" or "Rebuild" in VS?  Rebuild used to remove some required DLLs from the bin folder (I think perhaps it still does).   If you go to your install directory in program files ->telerik ->Sitefinity ->_EmptyProject->bin just copy all those files and paste them straight into your webapps bin folder.

(I don't even think you'll need to Build again and the refs should be picked up again)

Thanks Steve, that did it.  The Microsoft.Http.dll is not being referenced in the project, so when you do a rebuild (which is what I have almost always done for over 10 years now with .NET projects - its just habit) it blows away the DLL.

Here's a permanent fix:  I copied the Microsoft.Http.dll out of C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Sitefinity 5.1\_EmptyProject\bin and into my Sitefinity project.  Then I added a reference to that DLL within my project and made sure Copy Local was checked.  Then a rebuild doesn't break the app.

Going to file a bug report too so that hopefully this gets fixed in later versions. Normal operation of the IDE shouldn't cause the app to become unusable...

Thanks again Steve!

@Dave 
I thought my answer was not that far of :-)
Glad you got it running.

Markus

@Dave,

While you're at it -
You should check your AdoNet2.dll reference.
Since you're FTP'ing and not publishing from within Visualstudio it's just probably causing the little '?' on the reference but that one causes head aches as well since v4.4.

Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Aug-2012 00:00

Jochem, I see a reference in my project Telerik.OpenAccess.Adonet2 that is missing.  However, I started another blank project and that file isn't there either.  

Searching the forums, I found this: http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity/general-discussions/could-not-load-file-or-assembly-telerik-openaccess-adonet2-version-2010-3-1125-1.aspx  So I guess its not needed anymore.

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Aug-2012 00:00

@Dave,

Yes sorry - should have used a few more words and explain that its often there in the reference, although long time not needed anymore nor included (and that reference would break publishing).

Jochem

This thread is closed