Server 500 error for .css files created in the future

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 09:00

Server 500 error for .css files created in the future

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Sep-2012 00:00

Hey all,

Yesterday I ran into a funny issue hopefully somebody can provide a work around for.
I needed to update some files on an isolated server, so I've VPN>RDP'ed into the server and copy-pasted an updated two .css files and a few .xml files.

Since its an internal server, I can't use Thunder or regular FTP so this seemed the quickest and easiest way. The two css files were the main .css files for the site's theme, so after replacing them I've opened the browser and one of the .css files wouldn't load but give me a 500 error.

The normalize.min.css would load perfectly, but the project.min.css wouldn't budge, using Chrome's network tab I checked the response and it returned:

"Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.<br>Parameter name: utcDate"

Thanks to Steve, who pointed out a 4.0 beta issue regarding future date files, I edited/saved the file on the server so it would have the sever date/time and the file kicked in perfectly.

Replacing it again with my original .css file it gave the 500 error again.

Since I'm European I'm between 6 and 8 hours ahead of the US, meaning I'm bound to run into this again in the future (no pun intended).

Does anyone know if there's a setting that avoids checking the file date/time stamp of .css files?

And further more, can someone perhaps tell me if this issue is isolated to just .css files or does this happen with all manner of files ?

---
I know in this case I manually copy/pasted the files to the remote server, but even with a FTP program you can mismatch date/time offsets and run into this issue.

And lastly, will this error affect cloud based hosting or does geographic data center replication fortunately change date/time stamps so this issue is avoided?

Thanks,
Jochem.

This thread is closed