All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Sep-2012 00:00

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me here please, I have a menu with a structure like this:

Root
 ------GROUP PAGE
---------Redirect page( external url )
---------Redirect page( external url )

This group page does not want to show in my navigation, it is set to show in navigation.
Then I add another page just to test, this page is not a redirect page, and then this group shows in the menu. 

So it seems the problem is, groups don't want to display in the menu if all the pages redirect to external links. Is there a fix for this?

I'm using Sitefinity 5.0

Thanks!!

Dear Gerrit

This is an over 1 year old issue.

Sorry but I think there is a great chance that this is by design because if I rembember correct a group page will ONLY look for a 'real' page and show it. Sadly this page must be on the right level or it will not work

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity/bugs-issues/group-page-redirect.aspx 

I have heard from Telerik over and over that is by design. I keep repeating myself that this is BAD Design.

Look at the Scrrenshot 

The workaround might be that instead of a group page you create a redirect page redirecting to your first extrenal redirect page. 

Try to explain this to a client

Create Page A redirecting to nirvana
Create Page B redirectin to http://www.wereiwanttogo.com
Change Page A redirection to Page B

There is a PITS Issue open so vote for it and hope that finaly someone in Terlerik will consider this a bug or at  least reconsider that this should be like this by desing.

http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/public/sitefinity/6349 

Besids the issue you mentioned its also strange that

Redirect pages to external links will allways show when you set to include in navigation
Redirect pages to internal pages will only show if the page you redirect to is shown in navigation  even if you tell the redirect page to show in navigation.

Lets say you have an contatct form page that you don't want to include in navigation so you set it to not show in navigation. Now you want to link to this page from multiple locations on your site. NO GOOD. Workaround. Make the redirect page redirect to www.MyInternalPageUrl.com

Tell this a client and that he/she will remember 3 month later.

VOTE and hope for 5.3
Markus

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your reply! I will definitely vote for the PITS, would really like to have this fixed.
Weird how this should be in the design, I would think does not matter the type of page under a group page, that it should still display in the menu.

Thanks for the quick reply, really helps me!

Kind Regards,
Gerrit 

Dear Gerrit 

Thanks for voting. If I remember correct there is another thing that bothers me but could not finde a PITS for it

Page Group 1
-- Page Group 1.1
-----     Real Page 1.1.1
-- Real Page 2

If you click on Page Group 1 I would expect Real Page 1.1.1 to be shown. But this is not happening as far as I know Real Page  2 will be shown since its the first Real Page SF finds. I would expect SF to traverse down Page Groups untill it finds a real page or in your case a redirect page.

This is another thing I have to explain over and over to clients that they can not have a real page lying around lower then any page group sets. 

Markus

Hi Markus,

I agree, I would expect it to go to the first page, no matter of how "deep" the page is in the groups.

On a different note, I tried but still can't get the work-around to work.
I will attach the screenshot of my navigation.

I have a group "Login" renamed it to "Login - Placeholder" all the pages are redirect pages underneath it. The pages redirect to landing but with a specific querystring, thus I had to say its redirect pages to a external link and not a sitefinity page else I cant specify querystring parameters.

Now the problem is that the "Login" group does not want to display in the menu. So I renamed it to "Login - Placeholder" and made a new group called "Login". I've added a page there and said it to redirect to the "Member site" page under "Login - Placeholder". 

Still no luck, is there a way around this?

Thanks for your help!!
(PS trying to get the PITS page to load but does not want to load on my side, will try in a few mins again. )

Kind Regards,
Gerrit

Dear Gerrit

If you change the Lgoin - Placeholder type from GroupPage to Redirec Page and have it Redirect to Member site (if this is where you want it to go) then it should work.

Basicly change a GroupPage which redirects to its first childpage (or as in your case does not) to a Redirect Page and tell that Redirect Page to redirect to its first child or where ever you want it to go. 

Markus

This thread is closed