500 Timeout received while attempting to publish a custom co

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 19:33

500 Timeout received while attempting to publish a custom content module item

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Oct-2012 00:00

I have a custom created a custom content module that has several fields to populate ( over 54 media image fields, 27 choices fields, a handful of text fields).  I am receiving the timeout when I attempt to create and publish an item.  Even when only attempting to add 3 images to the content item it still fails.  I attempted to up the timeout value and remove the search indexes as described in the following knowledgebase but that did not help:

www.sitefinity.com/.../when-publishing-or-saving-a-page-you-are-getting-a-timeout-message-for-the-request-channel-of-waiting-for-response-for-some-time

I also created a web service trace that was described in another KB post and have attached a screenshot of it, unfortunately it won't allow me to attach the trace itself.

I also attempted to re-index the database itself following another knowledgebase article.  Nothing seems to work at this point.

It appears that after I publish and receive the timeout error I am able to go back and look at the entered content for the item and it does appear to save it properly.

the following is the web service trace post

<EventID>131076</EventID>
<Type>3</Type>
<SubType Name="Error">0</SubType>
<Level>2</Level>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-10-25T19:09:05.0351709Z" />
<Source Name="System.ServiceModel" />
<Correlation ActivityID="23e6621c-74ec-43f0-a9c2-5e0fc72ceff8" />
<Execution ProcessName="w3wp" ProcessID="4744" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel />
<Computer>ESSENSE-AESCUTI</Computer>
</System>
<ApplicationData>
<TraceData>
<DataItem>
<Description>Handling an exception.</Description>
<AppDomain>/LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT-3-129956652767987638</AppDomain>
<Exception>
<ExceptionType>System.TimeoutException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</ExceptionType>
<Message>The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:00:59.9539974. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.</Message>
<StackTrace>
Server stack trace:
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)
Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Telerik.Sitefinity.ContentWorkflows.IService.SendMessage(String operationName, Boolean isCheckedOut, Guid workflowDefinitionId, Guid contentId, String providerName, Dictionary`2 contextBag)
at Telerik.Sitefinity.Workflow.WorkflowManager.MessageWorkflow(String wokflowUrl, String operationName, WorkflowDefinition workflowDefinition, Guid contentId, String providerName, Boolean isCheckedOut, Dictionary`2 contextBag)
at Telerik.Sitefinity.Workflow.WorkflowManager.MessageWorkflow(Guid itemId, Type itemType, String providerName, String operationName, Boolean isCheckedOut, Dictionary`2 contextBag)
at Telerik.Sitefinity.DynamicModules.Web.Services.DataService.SaveDataItemInternal(ItemContext`1 dataItem, String itemType, String provider, String workflowOperation, String parentId, String parentType, String newParentId)
at Telerik.Sitefinity.DynamicModules.Web.Services.DataService.SaveDataItem(ItemContext`1 dataItem, String dataItemId, String provider, String itemType, String workflowOperation)
at SyncInvokeSaveDataItem(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage41(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage3(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage2(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage11(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage1(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)
</StackTrace>
<ExceptionString>System.TimeoutException: The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:00:59.9539974. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. ---> System.TimeoutException: The HTTP request to 'http://essense.localhost/DefaultWorkflows/ApprovalWorkflow.xamlx' has exceeded the allotted timeout of 00:00:59.9700000. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. ---> System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)

Server stack trace:
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.ContentWorkflows.IService.SendMessage(String operationName, Boolean isCheckedOut, Guid workflowDefinitionId, Guid contentId, String providerName, Dictionary`2 contextBag)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Workflow.WorkflowManager.MessageWorkflow(String wokflowUrl, String operationName, WorkflowDefinition workflowDefinition, Guid contentId, String providerName, Boolean isCheckedOut, Dictionary`2 contextBag)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Workflow.WorkflowManager.MessageWorkflow(Guid itemId, Type itemType, String providerName, String operationName, Boolean isCheckedOut, Dictionary`2 contextBag)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.DynamicModules.Web.Services.DataService.SaveDataItemInternal(ItemContext`1 dataItem, String itemType, String provider, String workflowOperation, String parentId, String parentType, String newParentId)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.DynamicModules.Web.Services.DataService.SaveDataItem(ItemContext`1 dataItem, String dataItemId, String provider, String itemType, String workflowOperation)
   at SyncInvokeSaveDataItem(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage41(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage3(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage2(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage11(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage1(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)</ExceptionString>
<InnerException>
<ExceptionType>System.TimeoutException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</ExceptionType>
<Message>The HTTP request to 'http://essense.localhost/DefaultWorkflows/ApprovalWorkflow.xamlx' has exceeded the allotted timeout of 00:00:59.9700000. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.</Message>
<StackTrace>
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)
</StackTrace>
<ExceptionString>System.TimeoutException: The HTTP request to 'http://essense.localhost/DefaultWorkflows/ApprovalWorkflow.xamlx' has exceeded the allotted timeout of 00:00:59.9700000. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. ---> System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)</ExceptionString>
<InnerException>
<ExceptionType>System.Net.WebException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</ExceptionType>
<Message>The operation has timed out</Message>
<StackTrace>
</StackTrace>
<ExceptionString>System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)</ExceptionString>
</InnerException>
</InnerException>
</Exception>
</TraceRecord>
</DataItem>
</TraceData>
</ApplicationData>
</E2ETraceEvent>

Posted by Community Admin on 10-May-2013 00:00

Hello,

Did you ever manage to resolve this issue? I have the exact same problem. We need to do some refactoring, but, even still, I think the process we're carrying out will take longer than 1 minute to execute. 

To that end, I've tried the following, without success:

1. Setting the SendTimeout, OpenTimeout, CloseTimeout and ReceiveTimeout on the binding in the web.config to 10 minutes (00:10:00). 
2. In Administration > Settings > Advanced > Workflows > BindingTimeoutsConfigCaption, I've set all of the values to 60000 ms (10 minutes).

At first, this seemed to work. I created my item without the timeout occuring, and it took more than one minute to complete. I then removed my values from the BindingTimeoutsConfigCaption, and as I had suspected, the timeout occured again. However, When I put the values back into this config in the settings area, I got the timeout message again, which I did not expect. I have a ticket into telerik on this particular issue as well. 

In my case, it's the AnyContentApprovalWorkflow, as opposed to the ApprovalWorkflow, but, I would assume the timeout values being sent would be the same regardless.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-May-2013 00:00

Hi,

Why do you need to remove the values from the BindingTimeoutsConfigCaption if this is working in your case? I think that after you input them the second time you must restart your IIS because this might be a caching issue.

All the best,
Ivan Georgiev | Sitefin1ty
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed