Project Manager Delete Project with Files - I hope this is n

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 13:35

Project Manager Delete Project with Files - I hope this is not true.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Nov-2012 00:00

Ok this is what has happended to me

c:\clients\client_a
c:\clients\client_a\folder_with_images
c:\clients\client_a\folder_with_some_old_stuff

Now I use the Sitefinity Project Manager to create a new project and I want it to be in 

c:\clients\client_a\sitefinity

I thought it would create the folder \sitefinity (maybe there was a option to have create folder yes/no)

However I did not set the path correct.

So instead of 

c:\clients\client_a\sitefinity   I had
c:\clients\client_a  

Well no big deal you think just delete the project and the files - nice option.

BUT it seems the projectmanager simply deleted EVERYTHING in c:\clients\client_a . Or better it seems it simply deleted the folder client_a.

Don't tell me that Project Manager does not delete only the files created by Sitefinity. 

Well me at least I am using a backup now to get my data back.

Looking forward to an answer.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Nov-2012 00:00

Hello Markus,

Yes it appears that the project manager deletes everything under the root folder of the project including those items not directly created as a part of Sitefinity. This is likely due to the fact that many projects include a great number of external resources, none of which would be managed by the project manager and not all of which would be handled via Visual Studio. This method is intended not to leave any files behind for developers to have to manually clean up as the situation of deleting a project more likely facilitates wanting to get rid of all the items as opposed to having the PM only delete items it created.

I am glad you were able to restore your lost documents and if you have any suggestions about the project manager we'd be happy to hear them.

Regards,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Nov-2012 00:00

Dear Dunn

I have red flags all over the place, Sirenes wailing. And scared people stumpeeding in my office after I read your answer.

a) It appears never sounds good
b) I have never seen software uninstalling stuff they did not install
c) I don't see any hint that this SF behavoir is considered to be mildly strange or even wrong
d) I just imagined if someone messed up and put a project in c:\ and removes it. Then he really needs to sign up for the next seminar.

Please talk to Georgi and as many as you can. Drop a line over coffee that you heard a funny story and tell them what happend to a dumb guy in Switzerland who thought that a software would only delete files it created and not just everything in the same folder assuming - the developer sure does not want it any more.

Please think about it for a moment. Not every one is backing up daily like I do!

Think how much trouble this potentialy can create for a user. 

And yes:

- I should have put the project in a new folder \sitefinity

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Nov-2012 00:00

Hi Markus,

1. Sorry about your sirens and stampedes. I know unexpected behaviors can be shocking and most people, unfortunately, probably do not have a robust back up system in place.
  2. The PM is working as intended which was confirmed with my team today. The files that are created by the Project Manager are very little compared to what a fully developed application would house. Simply having it delete what it created would result in a lot of manual work for the developer and pretty much invalidate the point of having a delete tool.
  3. Of course we will bring these ideas up to our development team.

If you have any suggestions for the Project Manager we would be more than happy to hear about them!

All the best,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Nov-2012 00:00

Dear Dunn

I ask for two favours.

a) please create a project in c:\ on your drive and remove it
b) Add a big red warning. Telling anyone that PM will not only remove files releated to Sitefinity in the folder but ANYTHING no mather if related to Sitefnity or development. 

This got to be the answer that most saddens my from any replies I have ever gotten.

This is like installing word and upon uninstalling it would delete all .doc and docx files as well and Microsoft support telling me that it would take a user to much time to cleanup the .doc and docx files.

Even though I have written a lot here. I am at lost for words.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Nov-2012 00:00

As someone who's been bitten by this once before, I'd agree that the "Remove" feature should be made a bit safer.

In the interest of science, I created a project named " " (in the same directory as the PM executable). I then removed it using the PM...it tried to delete itself.

Maybe it could look in the first level of subdirectories and, if it sees another SF project, alert the user that they might be making a mistake?

@Tim

I don't think your idea would help.

I have the setup hard disk k: for Kunden (clients)

K:\client_a
k:\client_a\designfiles -> photoshop for example
k:\client_a\photos -> images the client gave me 
k:\client_a\corresponce -> offers and so on
k:\client_a\web -> old site html, asp.net 
k:\client_a\sitefinity -> this is where sitefinity would be

Now if by stupidity of me I create the project in k:\client_a and delete it, the project manager would delete all my designfiles,  photos, corresponces and the old site. 

Your simple test PM trying to uninstall itself shows how bad the design is.

Markus

Markus,

What I meant was, if it finds a SF project in any of the subfolders, it would prompt the user before deleting anything at all.

In your case, it would have seen the SF project in "k:\client_a\sitefinity" and then displayed a warning. You could have cancelled the operation and then lost nothing at all.

Dear Tim 

In my PEBKAC problem I did not have put it in a subfolder but on the same hiarchie as my other files. So the PM would not have found a project in a subfolder. 

To me. I want the PM only to deinstall what it installed.

So I would want the PM to ask me. There is a folder xyz which was not created by the PM - do you want to delete it.

Markus

Markus,

Now I'm following! I assumed that "/sitefinity" existed pre-oops. You're right, my "fix" wouldn't have solved anything in that case. :/

I agree with Patrick and his team on his point, a delete tool that doesn't delete kinda misses the point. However, the fact that it'll indiscriminately delete everything it believes is part of a project (including itself...) is a bit much.

Case in point, I told my anti-virus to delete malicious files but it still asks me if I want to save any of the stuff it plans to delete. This gives me the option to save files it recognized in error or, if I so choose, let "horriblevirus.familyphoto.exe" live a long and healthy life! I think the PM should let me spare things too.

@Tim 
a) I do think the delete function should delete something -> the files it created
b) the argument that it would take much cleanup is not valid since I could simply delete the folder myself with all content (takes not very long, and I have it in recycle bin)

I would like to have the choice!!

Make a risk managment

Status quo - Someone might need a backup or setup up his system fresh - Data loss - Risk, Works
Just delete SF files -> some leftover of project. Simply select the folder and delete it. 

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Nov-2012 00:00

@all

There is now a feature request on PITS:  www.telerik.com/.../pits.aspx

Hope that everyone seeing my point votes.

Markus 

Some advice outside SF: Make your daily backups - you never know when you might need them. I am glad I have a good software that does that for me so I could easely undo the damage I did.

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Nov-2012 00:00

Hello Markus,

I hope today finds you well.

I will forward suggestion B to our developers and you can vote on it in PITS here.

Regards,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2013 00:00

@Telerik 

I finaly figured out how the problem started in the first place.

When you Create a new file based project and choose a location and then add a project name this project name becomes a folder where the stuff is put in.

Location w:\test
Project Name: Sitefinity

All files will be put into w:\test\sitefinity

So when you delete the project stuff that might be simply under w:\test is not effected.

--------------

This is what happend to me

a) I did create the folder w:\test\sitefinity in the files system.

b) I did choose the location w:\test\sitefinity

c) I adde the project name sitefinity

d) now I see that this would create another folder w;\test\sitefinity\sitefinity

e) I delete the sitefinity from the Location path

AND the Path is amended the Project Name no longer works as folder so all the stuff ends up in w:\ and then if you delete this project everything from w:\ is gone.

http://www.marktold.com/screencast/sitefinity_exe_error.swf

http://www.marktold.com/screencast/sitefinity_exe_error2.swf

So a given ProjectName will create a folder unless you change the path. Then it will no longer create a folder putting all the stuff in the root of the choosen location.

Hope Telerik can see what is happening here.

Markus

This thread is closed