Classifications and Filtering Widget Bug?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 18:04

Classifications and Filtering Widget Bug?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jan-2013 00:00

Guys, I hope I can get some insight from the community here.  We have created products and assigned departments, tags, and custom taxonomy Brand to the products. When we open a product item, we see the selected taxonomies just fine. However when we look at the list of Classifications,  all of the entries say “0 items”. In addition, the Filter By widget also shows zero products for any selected filter option. If we remove the filter widget, and put in place the regular Taxonomy widgets (Categories and Tags), the list of taxonomy items is correct, and if we click on them the list of products is  correctly filtered. Strangely enough, if we create any other content type (like News) and assign it any of these taxonomy items, the Classification list IS updated, and we see that it has assigned an item. So it appears only the Products module is affected. Although the taxonomy items are saved and correctly assigned, the relationship doesn’t appear to be “published” or something. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong here?

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jan-2013 00:00

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

There is a bug with the taxonomy statistics for the eCommerce module. The statistics are not being updated and as a result when you go to the Classifications for the different tags/brands/departments you are getting 0 items as if no item is using the taxonomy.

This should not be affecting the Filter by, widget. I have tested it and after configuring it correctly according to this article:Configuring the Filter products widget it is working as expected. For your convenience I have recorded a video:http://screencast.com/t/s9MyUjR4

Would it be possible to share with me how you configured the Filter products widget, please?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kind regards,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jan-2014 00:00

Sorry to post in a year-old thread but I seem to be having similar difficulties. I've created two custom classifications that are set on my products. Unfortunately, only one of them seems to work with the filter products widget. 

Here's a video to help explain my difficulty.

Edit: I am able to filter my products by the built-in taxonomy like Tags and Departments, just not new classifications I have created. I've even created a blank project and have had no luck filtering custom classifications.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Feb-2015 00:00

We are having the exact same problem that Benjamin is having. Has there been a solution to this yet?

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Feb-2015 00:00

Hello Joseph, Benjamin,

Actually there is a bug in Custom classification filtering of products in some cases.

More information is available in the feedback portal.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thank you Svetoslav. I had actually read that article in the portal and tried that suggestion and still no luck.

We cannot get custom classifications to filter with either lists or products. With lists the custom classifications return 0 results. With products, the custom classification filter simply does nothing. So all results still show.

The feedback portal link shows this feature-breaking bug has been in the code for at least 2.5 years. This highlights one of the reasons I don't recommend the Sitefinity product to clients any longer.

Luckily for me, my client removed the filter requirement from the website before I had to engineer my own solution.

The only thing I can recommend is to get a copy of Red Gate's .NET Reflector and disassemble the existing code to try to solve the issue yourself. That's pretty much what I had to do for most of my thankfully short work with this product.

Sorry Joseph, best of luck to you.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Feb-2015 00:00

Hello Joseph,

Indeed the issue has been in our backlog for more than a year due to its lower severity compared to the other product defects we have been working on. Can you please indicate the priority of this case with your project, so we can be aware of this? By default we consider this type of issue a Severity 3 -  as it really does not restrict the operations with the Classifications and filtering feature of the product, but is indeed an inconvenience due to the limitation of no blank space in their names, and a workaround is applicable.

In order to make this filter works, please try to recreate the custom filed by adding the same name of the field as the classification and a new classification without any spaces or dashes (if needed). For example ProductsColors.

You can find a short video demonstration how it works.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed