RadTabStrip No longer working on mobile devices as of 5.3

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 21:52

RadTabStrip No longer working on mobile devices as of 5.3

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jan-2013 00:00

As of the 5.3 update I have three sites that I have been able to verify that no longer have working menus on smartphone or tablet devices.  Both Android and iOS were tested.  In all cases the menu links show up fine, but taping the link seemingly does nothing.  If you fidget with the tap enough times you may get lucky and get the link to fire, but in general it is broken.  I tested this with RadMenu and RadTabStrip via the "Horizontal" and "Vertical" menu choices in Sitefinity.  In both cases this happens.

I see this may be a result of an issue that is being addressed in the Telerik.Web.UI per a hotfix, but would like an official word on whether this will be incorporated into a Sitefinity hotfix or what the "fix" procedure will be for this.

On one site I was able to circumvent the problem by switching the menu from "vertical" to "sitemap with rows" and then changing out all my class selectors in my css to style the sitemap control instead.

I have another site where this is not a possibility because I actually need tabbed navigation.

Here is the thread I am talking about:

iPad Href Problem

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi,

Once the official fix for the controls has been released, it will be incorporated in the next Sitefinity release, If you need a fix in the meantime, please open a support ticket and a fix and instructions will be provided.

Kind regards,
Atanas Valchev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jan-2013 00:00

This should be done in an 5.3 hotfix. 

It's not nice to leave us all stranded for two month with non working sites on all iOS devices.

I have one myself www.schule-hochfelden.ch (5.2 not 5.3) However if you click the main navigation buttons very low - kind of border-bottom its working.

Please take a look at the banners you place all over the place

Understanding Responsive Design - At the moment 5.3 Sites are not very Responsive!!!

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jan-2013 00:00

Hello,

The service pack for 5.3 will be available very soon and will include the fixed controls. Upgrading to it when released will resolve the iOS issue. 

All the best,
Atanas Valchev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jan-2013 00:00

I too am having this issue. 

Is the hotfix out yet? Or is there a projected date? 

Thanks!

Dear Dave 

There won't be a hotfix before 5.4

We have decided on not releasing a Service Pack version between 5.3 and 5.4 but will spend the
time testing the new implementations for 5.4 so we can ensure a good quality
release, and address as many bug fixes and feature requests as possible.

The problem at hand (RadTabStrip not working properly on Mobile devices) was a
bug in the RadControls version used with the 5.3 release. They have released a
new official version which contains the bugfix, so you can try applying it
manually (i.e. downloading the 2012.3.1308.40 version of Telerik RadControls and replacing
the assemblies in your /bin folder. Then applying a bindingRedirect in your
web.config for the new version).

Apart from doing that you can anticipate the 5.4 release, which is on schedule
for the upcoming month.
UNQUOTE

Sorry to inform you that way.
Markus

Crap, I'm in a catch-22 because the custom filtering of dynamic objects is broken in 5.2 so I'll have to rewrite all those pages, OR i have to rewrite the nav (which would probably be worse). 

Hopefully, downloading the updated radcontrols and redirecting the binding will work. ><;

--edit: and thanks for the info Markus!

Dave
If you cannot wait. Why not take the 5.2 up to 5.3 and have the RadControls replaced?

They have released a
new official version which contains the bugfix, so you can try applying it
manually (i.e. downloading the 2012.3.1308.40 version of Telerik RadControls and replacing
the assemblies in your /bin folder. Then applying a bindingRedirect in your
web.config for the new version).
UNQUOTE

Markus

PS: I am often in the same situation. As long as Telerik would fix bugs from one version to the other I can talk to the clients to wait a months or so. The thing gets bad if they don't fix stuff.

- At the moment my redirect pages don't show up in Navigation. Great :-)
- Links from within a Editor in a module to a page of the site simply don't work
- Modules sorting in advanced settings are not saved - therefor not working
- Navigation on mobile devices not working

I sure hope to see all that fixed in 5.4

Markus, 

Your solution worked well on my development environment. 

HERE: is step by step instructions

Go here and download the latest internal build for the product RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX:
www.telerik.com/.../internal-builds.aspx

You should get :
Telerik.Web.Design.dll
Telerik.Web.UI.dll
Telerik.Web.UI.Skins.dll
Telerik.Web.xml

Grab all 3 of them: 
and copy them into your bin directory (or wherever you store your references). 

In the web.config remap the assembly: 
I had to add this chunk:
 (Note at the time I did this the new version was : 2012.3.1322.40)
(Note you also may have to change the version or key depending on your assembly you are swapping).

<runtime>
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="Telerik.Web.UI" publicKeyToken="121fae78165ba3d4" culture="neutral" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="2012.3.1016.40" newVersion="2012.3.1322.40" />
      </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>
  </runtime>

You'll know if you did this right, because whenever any of the dlls is reference incorrectly you'll get an error like this when you try to hit the page. 
Server Error in '/' Application.

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2012.3.1016.40, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Hope this helps anyone else who has this problem. 

Special thanks to Markus for lighting the way... and basically telling me exactly what to do. 

Dave

Dear Dave

Glad to hear it works. And thanks for the detailed solution. 

Thanks goes to Telerik support. I simply did quote them. 

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jan-2013 00:00

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this with the community. This approach will ensure that the navigation is functional until the next release.

Greetings,
Atanas Valchev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jan-2013 00:00

Atanas, 

The only issue with this approach (that I haven't posted) is that it seems to break the CSS and Javascript widgets in Page edit mode. This is due to a change in the Telerik.Web.UI dll and a return type for the RadFileExplorer.configuration property.

Here's the error: Method not found:
'Telerik.Web.UI.FileManagerDialogConfiguration Telerik.Web.UI.RadFileExplorer.get_Configuration()'.

In my support ticked I wrote up how I decompiled theTelerik.Web.UI dll I used from latest build and the RadFileExplorer.Configuration property had its return typed changed. 

Thankfully, we can work around this as we use patched dll in production and the old 5.3 in development (so that we can edit css and javascript files). 

- Dave

This thread is closed