Upgrade 5.1 to 5.3

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 09:48

Upgrade 5.1 to 5.3

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2013 00:00

Hello,

I have a problem with upgrade Sitefinity from version 5.1 to 5.3. I have install version 5.2 and so far everything worked as expected. Then I upgrade to version 5.3 and now I have a problem with our custom modules in the backend. When I am trying to open content from module there is an error Object reference not set to an instance of an object. We have about 20 custom modules and only the two of them are working as expected. On the frontend everything looks OK.

Regard's
Dejan Pecnik

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2013 00:00

Hello,

Sorry you are having an issue after upgrading. 

Unfortunately the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." is a fairly generic error message that could have resulted from any unknown number of causes.

Please look at the Sitefinity log file to see if there are any upgrading errors after you upgraded from 5.2 to 5.3.  Logged errors or warning may help pinpoint any possible causes.

Please let us know what you find.

Kind regards,
Courtney Wilson
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi Dejan,

We ran into the same problems. What we did was the following:

1. Removed the delete permission from the database user for the tables relating to the custom modules.
  2. Export the Module Schema from within Sitefinity.
  3. Delete the Module in Sitefinity. It will delete you just need to wait for it to timeout.
  4. Import the module within Sitefinity.
  5. Restore the DB permissions.

Of course this would likely be a lot easier if Sitefinity allowed you to import module data as well. Don't forget to backup the DB before you start.

Thanks,
Steve W.
pavliks.com

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi Dejan,

I was not able to reproduce the problem on our side. I setup 51 project and created few custom modules, then I run the upgrade to 5.3 and everything was fine. Would it be possible to send us your project or provide us with more information, which will help us reproduce it on our end?

Regards,

Sonya
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Dejan,

We need your backup of project before upgrade.

Regards,

Sonya
the Telerik team

Hello,

I have compressed our database and files, but the size is still over 1GB. Any idea how to send the project?

Regard's
Dejan

Hello Dejan,

Please, confirm that you have followed the following upgrade path: 5.1 » 5.2 » 5.3 and you have followed this upgrade instructions? Upgrading 5.1 to 5.3 without passing through 5.2 version might cause problems and errors in module builder.

Kind regards,
Sonya
the Telerik team

Hello,

I can confirm that I have followed upgrade path and upgrade instructions. I also tried different versions sitefinity 5.2 before upgrade to 5.3. I have made a copy our live site http://www.fdv.uni-lj.si (version 5.1.3210.0) and established secondary testing enviroment http://razvoj.fdv.uni-lj.si (version 5.2.3700.0 at the moment)...

Regard's
Dejan

Hi  Dejan,

Can you open a new ticket, where i can sent you the new Ftp settings?

All the best,
Sonya
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2013 00:00

Not sure if you resolved this but I encountered a similar error. The clue to resolution came from the error log in App_Data\Sitefinity\Logs. If you see a Type that mentions an Endpoint not being found and a Message that outputs something involving "PagesApprovalWorkflow.xamlx that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details." there's a good chance that you are having the same issue.

This was related to workflow changes that came in 5.1/2, permissions and possibly some custom roles that we are using, Instead of setting database user permissions as mentioned above I was able to disable our custom modules (they were causing the issue for sure), perform the upgrade and turn them back on. 

From here the admin screens would now work at least but the public version of the site still threw the same ugly error. I checked the modules' permissions in the admin settings and they had gone all wonky so I set those back to something reasonable and they now no longer throw an error publicly or in the admin.

This may have been resolved via the ticket but I wanted to make sure it was posted here in case anyone else runs in to the same issues. I've seen a few forum posts that seem similar.

This thread is closed