Field Control eager loading is out of control

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:04

Field Control eager loading is out of control

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jan-2013 00:00

Have a look at the attached image

So I edited an item which has ONE image assigned...however when you jump  into edit mode the field controls all callback to their respective services to bring in content.  Like if you have multi docs, multi images, multiple taxonomies, they all go out and bombard the edit form when you might never even open them. 

Jumping to edit mode would be SO MUCH faster without all this blocking going on

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jan-2013 00:00

Nobody from T will comment on this? :)

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2013 00:00

Hello,

All the controls in the edit screen should load only the data that is required to show the respective item. As I see you should have multiple controls displaying image thumbnails. The strange thing is that loading single thumbnail costs 1-2 seconds. This should be way quicker.
Also, can you confirm that there are services, that loads not required data?
Keep in mind that for taxonomies there are required service calls to show the data in taxonomy selector and for images there are required service calls to get the id, title, thumbnail and other properties for the selected image.

All the best,
Bonny
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2013 00:00

http://screencast.com/t/P7USksAN

"All the controls in the edit screen should load only the data that is required to show the respective item"

I couldn't agree with you more :) ....but as per the video...that isn't the case.

Every selector loads itself up with a default set (20-50) of items to be selected when a new item opens....so if I create a new item, but NEVER use the selectors to pick content (either default media selectors or thunder generated selectors)...all that content is still coming down.

Moreover the controls are too "dumb" to share the same service calls.  As you can see from the video I have a single image selector and a multi...BOTH call back to get lists of images AND lists of albums.  So instead of 2 calls for 40 items, I have 4 calls for 80 items (when it should be 0 for 0 until I open the selector).

Now the images might be from <designers:ContentSelector trying to feed the product selector, but again, that control shouldn't be eagerly loading everything.

Know what I mean?

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi,

I checked this problem and you are indeed correct. There are bugs logged about some controls that should do lazy loading, but their priority isn't high enough. I will try to escalate this issue, but it will not be fixed for this release (i guess we can include it in the 6.0 release).
Contact us back if you need anything else.

All the best,
Bonny
the Telerik team

This thread is closed