Server Error after installation: Cannot find/load Telerik.Si

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:05

Server Error after installation: Cannot find/load Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.2.3700.0

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Feb-2013 00:00

I used the newest version of the sitefinity project manager to upgrade a site of mine and now the site only returns a server error when attempting to browse to it. The site compiles in visual studio with no problem.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.2.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.2.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.2.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Stack Trace:

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.2.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
   EF.SitemapGenerator.Initialization.InitializeRoutine.PreAppStartMethod() +0

[InvalidOperationException: The pre-application start initialization method PreAppStartMethod on type EF.SitemapGenerator.Initialization.InitializeRoutine threw an exception with the following error message: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.2.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040).]
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.InvokePreStartInitMethods(ICollection`1 methods) +408
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CallPreStartInitMethods() +303
   System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException) +692

[HttpException (0x80004005): The pre-application start initialization method PreAppStartMethod on type EF.SitemapGenerator.Initialization.InitializeRoutine threw an exception with the following error message: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=5.2.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040).]
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +638
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +90
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +256

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

How do I fix this?

The newest version is 5.4. 

So if you upgraded from 5.2. 

Try doing a full text search (ctrl+shift+f -> pick entire solution 5.2.3700.0) in Visual Studio for anywhere 5.2.3700.0 is used to reference a DLL. Then change that number to the 5.4 version number of the DLL and see what happens. 

You need to make sure any references you had to 5.2 dlls are now to the correct 5.4 dlls. 

Best regards, 

Dave

You will also get this error if there's an assembly in your bin folder that was build against v5.2...do you have any marketplace controls or anything external to the webapp that would need rebuilding?

Thanks for the replys

@Dave I did an entire solution and project search for 5.2.3700 and nothing was found. Perhaps this means it's caused by what Steve said.

@Steve I'm not sure how to check if my assembly is built against the 5.2 sitefinity dll. How can I go about checking? (I'm only just learning to develop in C#) I don't have any marketplace controls nor do I have anything external I don't think. I do have a CRM SDK dll and an event registration dll that was created by some inhouse devs, but those dlls are apart of the project already and I would assume they would recompiled with the rest of the project. Regardless I'm pretty sure those dlls don't make reference to sitefinity's dll.

I reset my site and tried the upgrade process again but still no luck. I also tried to do a Rebuild and still the same error.

Any other ideas?

Hi Chris,

I can see that you are using the Sitefinity Sitemap Generator from Enterprisefinity. Probably this add-on is not built  (yet) to the new version of Sitefinity, causing the error.

They seem to have updated their tool: http://enterprisefinity.com/products/sitemap-generator, but there are also some problems with it. I don't know if it is already built against the 5.4 hotfix that came out today?

Just check and make sure you're on the same version.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Feb-2013 00:00

@Daniel Thank you, I think you are correct. I went and downloaded the 5.4 version of sitemap generator and replaced the DLL. This caused the error message to say I was now missing telerik.sitefinity version 5.4.4000 (since I am using the hotfix version 5.4.4010) It seems as of me writing this, entireprisefinity has not released a 5.4.4010 version of their DLL. I've emailed them requesting an update. 

In the meantime, I've removed the sitemap generator dll and rebuilt my project. This allows the site to get to "The system is restarting..." screen but my page never ends up loading. I've tried restarting IIS and building again. Any ideas on why my site is not completing it's restart?

Wonder if it's related to it wanting to have the sitemap module there, like you'd need to edit the system.config and remove it

You could drop it back in and try assembly binding the Telerik.Sitefinity assembly

http://www.sitefinitysteve.com/articles/how-to/lists/how-to/avoid-version-errors-with-assembly-binding

Thanks everyone, I'm up and running now.

It was stuck at "restarting..." because during my troubleshooting of the original problem, I attempted a rebuild (note to everyone, NEVER "Rebuild" a sitefinity project). Once I replaced all the dlls that rebuilding removed everything worked fine. 

To be clear. My original issue was because an addon module dll was still referencing an old sitefinity dll version. Once I removed that addon's dll from the bin folder, everything worked fine. so Steve your original reply was spot on! The thing was that the module in question wasn't added to the project in visual studio, it was just a dll that I was instructed to drop into the bin folder.

This thread is closed