Conflicts trying to prevent inheritance of handlers in child

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:38

Conflicts trying to prevent inheritance of handlers in child applications

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2013 00:00

I have a Sitefinity 5.4 site that sits as the parent for a number of child .Net apps.

As most of you know, child .Net apps nested under a parent .Net app inherit settings, like handlers, etc., from their parents. As a workaround to this, I have always just wrapped the Sitefinity system.web and other sections in a location tag, added inheritInChildApplications=false, and been done with it.

This works very well for the child applications. However, it's not working for Sitefinity anymore. Now I am plagued by errors such as 
"'~/Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd' is missing in web.config" as Sitefinity's own self is trying to look for its handlers.

For the moment, my absolutely unacceptable workaround is that I have to open the web.config and comment out my location tag every time someone needs to log on to the Sitefinity backend. Seriously. So clearly, that's not going to work.

Anyone have any ideas for a better solution? I cannot be the only person out there with this setup.

In case you need this info, this is a completely clean 5.4 site (not upgraded from anything, because I just rebuilt the thing in the hopes that a clean site would magically be better.) The site has no custom code except for CSS, and the only widgets used are the generic content and image widgets. 

I know there has to be a way to keep Sitefinity running properly but also keep it from mucking up my sub-apps. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Mar-2013 00:00

Hello Julia,

This would be a tough one to call without seeing the project or at least parts of it which I'm sure you don't want to put here. Could you open a support ticket so we can exchange these? We'll be sure to post a resolution back here for the community when we find one.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Apr-2013 00:00

We are running into this same issue with our setup.  Our root site is a Sitefinity 5.4 site, and we have a sub-app in a virtual directory that is a Sitefinity 3.7 site.  We can get the sub-application working fine, but in order to get the root 5.4 site working we have to remove the location tags.  

What is the solution to this issue?

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2013 00:00

Hi Julia,

Thnak you for getting back to us.

If you want to set a child application under a Sitefinity one ( or the other way around ) , there are number of changes that need to be made to the web.config files. In some cases inheritInChildApplications is OK but when using Sitefinity setting only the inheritInChildApplications to false is not enough. Please find attached the sample web.config files - you can compare the changes that need to be made to the one you have set. Please note, that the attached files are for Sitefinity 5.2.

You can configure both Sitefinity apps as in our documentation, however please take into consideration the above configuration files.

Let me know if the above suggestion does not help you.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Oct-2013 00:00

Hi... Can you repost the example web.config we have a similar issue working Sitefinity 6.1

Thanks...

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Oct-2013 00:00

Hi,

Please find the configuration files attached.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Dec-2013 00:00

Josette - were you able to get your child site working?  We are running Sitefinity 6.2.4900 and have the same problem.

I've used the "location" tag in the parent site along with "remove" directives in the child site and our child site is still trying to access the "Telerik.Sitefinity" assembly.  I can't figure out what else I can change in our web.config files to make this work.

-BEP

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Dec-2013 00:00

Scott,

We had tried everything and even got Telerik (Stefani Tacheva) involved.  They replied:

Basically we have not tested this scenario and I could not provide you with a sample. Between version 2.0 and 4.0 .NET there are a lot of differences. Could you please inform us what is the idea of the whole configuration? Why do you want this application configuration? It would be hard for you to have such configuration on your end. I have found some useful articles that might help you configuring your applications:

msdn.microsoft.com/.../dd329554(v=vs.100).aspx
stackoverflow.com/.../how-do-i-configure-this-iis-7-5-child-application-properly

The main thing you need to do is to change the following line:

<location path="." inheritInChildApplications="false">

You might need to remove a lot of handlers and httpmodules using <Remove>.

Furthermore, please note that the two applications should use different application pools. There are other methods you could use instead of parent-child application like file system binding and ets.

We gave up and moved the child site.  Hope something here helps.

- JG

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Dec-2013 00:00

Hello,

Thank  you Jeffrey for sharing our reply to the community.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Apr-2016 00:00
This thread is closed