user password rest

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 22:04

user password rest

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Apr-2013 00:00

Good day,
    We have ran into a problem of not being able to reset the users password by going to users/user and clicking on reset password. We do have the value set to true under admin/settings/advanced /security/membership providers/default/paramaeters/enablePasswordReset. We are not using email for password retrival, all passwords are just reset by the Sitefinity Administrator.
When we click on Password Reset it asks Are you sure you want to change the password for this user? then click on Ok and then the page reloads and where the Password Reset button was is now blank - no yellow background etc...
When the user then attempts to login they receive the error of incorrect password even if they try their old password. Appears to delete the old password but nothing replaces it.  If we go back in as Administrator the reset password button now returns but clicking on it gives the same results. We end up deleting the user and assign a new password at that time so we can get around the reset problem but of course would prefer to have the reset password option working.
We are using Sitefinity 5.01

thanks
Rob

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Apr-2013 00:00

Are the users locked out?  if there are you wouldn't be able to reset the password.

@Rob

Are you security setting set to Claims?

Markus

Hi Markus,

Yes our security setting is to Claims based authentication

Rob

Hi Victor,
   I tried resetting the password with user logged in or off with same results . The user does not have any files locked either. When I see users under admin all I see is if they are on-line or not. Where would I see if they were locked out?
Thanks,
Rob

I am not sure where it is (or even if it is) visible in the backend.  Check the database, there is a field "is_locked_out" in the table "sf_users"

Dear Rob

Do you need Claims? If not Switch and see what happens.

Markus

Hi Markus,

Switched to Forms but still have same results.  When click ok to reset password, the button to reset disappears and is just blank, no yellow background etc..

Rob

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Apr-2013 00:00

Hello,

Would it be possible for you to confirm that you have made all the changes described below:
1. Go to Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> System -> SMTP and configure the correct SMTP server settings so Sitefinity can properly send emails. Then save the changes.
2. Go to Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> Security -> Membership Providers -> Default -> Parameters and change the enablePasswordReset to TRUE , then change the enablePasswordRetrieval to FALSE, change the value of the email in recoveryMailAddress.
3. Open your project in Visual Studio and restart your application by making a dummy change in your web.config file
4. Run your project and everything should be working

Make sure that the SMTP settings are correct. You can test your SMTP settings by sending a test email. You can do this in Administration -> Settings -> Email campaign, but you need to set the SMTP settings. SMTP server settings are configured under Advanced Settings, on the Notifications profile which matches the name specified in Administration -> Settings -> Email campaign .

Additionally, please review  this KB article.

What is the Sitefinity version you are using Sitefinity 5.0 or Sitefinity 5.1? If the problem still persist I would suggest you to open a support ticket and send us your web site and backend credentials to see the problem itself.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Apr-2013 00:00

Hi Stefani,

Doubled checked all admin settings and they were as you suggested. We are using version 5.02500.0
Not a big deal as resetting passwords have been very few. Just deleted user added back in then let them change the password, that was given to them, when they login.

Rob

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Apr-2013 00:00

Hello Rob,

The problem might come from some configurations or from your SMPT server. I would suggest you to open a support ticket and send us your web site and backend credentials to see the problem itself. Please mentioned about this forum thread in the ticket.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed