Titles and properties for back end pages

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 09:14

Titles and properties for back end pages

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-May-2013 00:00

I just went into some of the backend pages after a colleague asked if a search engine could index them or not, and I noticed that the "Allow search engines to index this page" checkbox was ticked. I unchecked it, tried to save the changes but get a validation error for the "Title for search engines" field ("The 'Title for search engines' contains invalid symbols.") which the value is currently "$Resources: PageResources,DashboardHtmlTitle".

So, a few questions:

1. Shouldn't backend pages have that checkbox unticked by default? Why would you ever want backend pages indexed by search engines?
2. What can be done about the "Title for search engines" validation error for "$Resources: PageResources,DashboardHtmlTitle"?
3. I suppose one solution to 2 is to simply delete the page title property - is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Also I don't really want to have to do this for every backend page for every project, so something a bit more long term would be good.

thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2013 00:00

Hi Nick,

"Allow search engines to index this page" is an option for the external search engines like Google. As you might know all backend pages are located under /sitefinity. As a structure they are the same as the frontend pages, however the Sitefinity's sitemap treats them differently. The backend pages have certain type of permissions applied to them by default and Sitefinity does not allow search engine crawlers to index them. This option for the backend pages is used only for  the internal Sitefinity indexing engine. Because the backend pages are the same like the live pages, but with different permissions, they all have equal editing template.
If you want to save the changes of the backend page with the default content of the "Allow search engines to index this page" field you can simply modify the regular expression for that field. In the attached files you can find where is the regular expression for that field and you have to change.

Kind regards,
Kaloyan
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed