Issue with Group page in new navigation widget

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 15:24

Issue with Group page in new navigation widget

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Aug-2013 00:00

Hi,
I am testing out the upgrade to 6.1. I put a new navigation widget on my page template. But I'm noticing the following issue.
My page heirarchy is as follows:

Legal & Legislative
  Topic 1
  Topic 2
  Government Affairs (group page)
       Subpage 1 (hide from navigation)

The subpage 1 shouldn't show in navigation as its just a holding place for documents that is linked to from the main Governt Affairs page.  
However, with this setup, the Government Affairs link is not clickable. There is no way to access this page.

Dear Amanda

Grouppages will redirect to the first 'real' page under it. Since you have hidden the Subpage 1 from the navigation there is no 'real' page to be found under Goverment Affairs.

Acutaly Goverment Affaris should not show up in the navigation at all.

The redirection of group pages has bothered me for a long time.

Government Affairs (group page)
              Sub Group Page (group page)
                    Subpage 1 (shown in navigatin)
             Subpage 2 (shwoin navigation)  

Never worked because the navigation widget would not search down a thread. In this case the Subpage 2 would be shown where a user would expect the Subpage 1 to be shown - but thats a different storry.

Bottom line is that your Group page has no pages under it since you did hide it from navigation. At least that what it was with old navigation widget.

Markus

I think I screwed up the jargon a little when explaining.

Government affairs isn't an actual group page. It's a parent page, with a subpage under it. However, it won't allow a user to click on it to open that page.  In fact, any of my page that are a parent page with subpages are not "clickable".

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Aug-2013 00:00

I know exactly what you mean. I've got the same issue with my 6.1 dropdown menu. I'm using both group pages and "normal pages" and none of the parent pages are "clickable" when a child page is added. And the "parent group pages" does not redirect to the first subpage.

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Aug-2013 00:00

If you remove the javascript click event from the nodes in the template...works again though right?

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Sep-2013 00:00

Changing the script in the widget template (horizontal with dropdown menus) to the following worked for me.  It also allows hover to show sub menus.  I changed whetherToOpenOnClick  to false and took out the animation parameter.

<script type="text/javascript">
    (function ($)
        var whetherToOpenOnClick = false;

var kendoMenu = $('.sfNavHorizontalDropDown').not('.k-menu').kendoMenu(
          //animation: false,         
            openOnClick: whetherToOpenOnClick
        ).data('kendoMenu');

if (whetherToOpenOnClick)
          jQuery(kendoMenu.element).find("li:has(ul) > a").attr("href", "javascript:void(0)");

)(jQuery);
</script>

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Sep-2013 00:00

[quote]Amanda Shafer said: It's a parent page, with a subpage under it. However, it won't allow a user to click on it to open that page.  In fact, any of my page that are a parent page with subpages are not "clickable".[/quote]

Yes! Parent pages are acting like group pages once the parent page has any child pages under it. This appears to be a bug in the Sitefinity 6.1 Navigation widget, Horizontal with dropdown menus template. If two pages contain content, and you move one page underneath the other, the parent page is no longer available from the navigation menu even though it is not a group page.

From an administrator's perspective, it feels like a bug. The click event can be commented out in the code, but that really shouldn't be needed.

Example:

A Sitefinity 6.1 site uses a navigation menu with these settings:
- Display Top-level pages (and their child-pages if template allows)
- Template is the out-of-the-box "Horizontal with dropdown menus"

The site has two pages, "About Us" and "Contact Us".  Both pages contain different content and are Published. Both pages have properties: 
- Checked  "Show in navigation"
- Unchecked "Use this page only to group other pages"
- Unchecked "This page redirects to another page"

While both pages are at the top level, both pages appear in the main top-level nav menu. Clicking each page's name displays that page. So far so good.

Now, in the Dashboard in Pages, an administrator moves the "Contact Us" page underneath the "About Us" page. 

When a visitor browses the changed site, the visitor cannot navigate to "About Us" page through the navigation menu. When a user clicks "About Us" , the navigation only shows the dropdown menu for the Contact Us page. There's no way for that visitor to directly browse to the About Us page. About Us is functioning like a group page instead of a parent page, even though the administrator did not intend it.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-May-2014 00:00

hii,

i m created a modules that contain "Article" on click "Article" modules page must be redirect to page (Sitefinity)  that page name "abc" they have sub page  

This thread is closed