Translations really are a mess

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 09:56

Translations really are a mess

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Aug-2013 00:00

Hi support,

We're now on version 6.1 of Sitefinity and still I have MANY issues with the Labels & Messages section.

An example: I want to have 2 different, frontend languages. English and Dutch for my website with webshop. I created my website as follows:

- New Sitefinity installation
- Added Dutch as a frontend language
- Set Dutch as the default language
- Moved Dutch to the first position.
- Configured my pages, webshop etc.

Now I downloaded the latest (?) language pack from the MarketPlace. (you have to search for it, otherwise you won't find it).
From the Label & Messages section I did an import of this Dutch language pack. I didn't choose a language since Dutch was the default.

After that it all seems okay. On my frontend the webshop labels are in Dutch.
Now when you restart the application, things are going to change. You first see dutch labels appear in the English backend, like 'Published' becomes 'Gepubliceerd'. The longer you browse, the more labels seems to be translated into Dutch.

I didn't configure any other backend languages, so I would assume my Siteifnity backend would remain in English, what I prefer.
If I look up the translated labels, they have an invariant culture set to an English translation and also a Dutch translation.

So my questions are:
- How can I fix this?
- What can I do to help solve this forever?
- How can we make the translation of Sitefinity into different languages be without problems?
- How can we keep the resource files up-to-date and release them with every new Sitefinity version?
- Can we have a special section under the Developer Network which shows the languages?

If you need help, please email me, I'm willing to do whatever I can.

Thanks,
Daniel

I know how support can be better...

Make the devs or guys who work on the public sites set their test instances to BG....then maybe they'll be in the same boat as you and get annoyed enough to fix things :)

@Daniel,

I second that. 
During v5.x they used to send resource files out during beta but they're also using automated translation, would love to get send the .xlsx 's again prior to launch and split the work.

Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Sep-2013 00:00

Hi guys,

@Daniel

I have checked in the system and a bug has been logged for the problem you are describing - see PITS. It seems that some backend labels are translated although the default backend language is English. I have increased this bug's priority.

@Jochem

This is a nice idea. I will forward this request to our team for discussion.

Regards,
Pavel Benov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Pavel,

What should I do to work around this bug?
The PITS item has only 1 vote, that comes from myself. My experience is that it will probably be next year before this is fixed in an official release.

If you can explain to me what goes wrong and how to write a workaround, I'll try something myself first.

Kind regards,
Daniel

@Daniel,

Create two backend and frontend languages (Dutch + English) that should disable/remove the 'invariant' culture.

Open a fresh Sitefinity installation, export the English language and import it into your dual-language installation AFTER you've imported the Dutch language pack.

---
@Pavel,

Don't send it to the team for discussion, you guys have more important things to discuss so this will just get burried while we're getting annoyed.

Just shoot an email to whomever's now responsible for the languages and give them Daniel & my email so they can send it out and we can have it back to you between beta & release cycle.

It would take them 30 seconds to send us an email during beta with the end result being a native speaker improved language pack with minimum costs on your end. All they'd have to do is check the labels we've altered back into the master system.

Jochem.

@Daniel

I bothers me way more that the backend will change languages for end-users depending on front-end language of the page.

tow front end languages (english/dutch)
two backend languages (english/dutch)

User sets prefered language to english in his profile.

Now change an dutch pages and you get mixed labels mostly dutch (preview will be english)

This is the real pain in the neck. Having french guys have italian lables.  I wish Telerik hat an arabic or chinese site where they had to change some images on an arabic or chinese page - > then they would starting fixing this bug.

But yes . lots of stuff is dual language in admin settings 

Markus

PS: Yes I know I have bits..... about this before.

This thread is closed