The "Homepage" on duplicate urls

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:56

The "Homepage" on duplicate urls

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Sep-2013 00:00

Can we just out of the box start to finally handle the duplicate url scenario of the homepage?

If I make a page called "Home" set it as the homepage with the urlname of /home...

"http://www.site.com" and "http://www.site.com/home" both end up at the same page unless we do some custom code :/

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Sep-2013 00:00

Steve,

I have also seen this same issue on group pages as well.

It would be nice if you could either choose to do a 301 redirect or just have Sitefinity emit a canonical tag into the head of the page.

Maybe, just maybe, the Sitefinity team can sneak this fix into the next release.  :-)

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Sep-2013 00:00

Hi Steve,

I am afraid I could not understand what are you trying to achieve.
Right now, the page which is set to be 'Homepage' is always shown when we navigate to the root of our site. We could also get to this page if we navigate using its URL. That's how it works.
If you want to show another page when you navigate to your site, just set another page as the home one.
Any further distinction will require custom logic and redirects.

Regards,
Ivaylo Angelov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

+Ivaylo
The only thing I'm trying to achieve is to remove Sitefinitys bad SEO...two urls should not serve the same page...

This should absolutely not require custom code (however it does right now)

Steve

Here is a really simple example of the exact issue Steve is talking about.

If I have a home page called "/home" on www.mydomain.com then this page will be accessible via two different URLs as shown below.

By having two pages accessible via two different URLs, Google will actually consider this duplicate content, which is bad.  

The solution should only accept one of the URLs above and do a 301 redirect to the other link.  Thoughts?

1000% Craig...

MOST sites would opt for the root level I would bet instead of /home or /homepage

I would also agree that you would want to 301 redirect to the root level.

...have you tried canonical on homepage too?

Is it www.site.com? or www.site.com/home?

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello again,

Navigating to both www.site.com and www.site.com/home
will result in a reference to www.site.com/home when using canonical URLs.
As far as your request is concerned, we already have a PITS issue on the topic (link here).
You can vote to make this more popular and increase its priority.
I've also updated this on our side and it will be taken into consideration whether or not be included as a feature in future releases.

Thank you for the feedback!

Regards,
Ivaylo Angelov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Mar-2014 00:00

Hi there,

That PITS issue link doesn't work anymore since you upgraded your site.
Could you please update? I'd like to know the status of this issue.
Thanks

Tim

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Mar-2014 00:00

Hello Tim,

Here is the updated link to the feedback portal where you can track the progress of the feature request and vote to increase its popularity.

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Oct-2017 00:00

The solution provided in the post is not completely satifying...

The generated sitemap is still pointing to the /LANGUAGE/HOME and not to /LANGUAGE/ URL... 
So Google is told (by the sitepage) the homepage can be found at /LANGEAGE/HOME and we are directly pointing it with an 301-redirect to /LANGUAGE..

So google gets confused?!?! (so are we ;P)

This thread is closed