Community Edition 5.1 install failure

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 09:22

Community Edition 5.1 install failure

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Sep-2013 00:00

Yesterday, I spent many hours trying to install Sitefinity community edition 5.1 by starting with the msi link on the Arvixe hosting service.(The msi is in the list on this page: www.arvixe.com/cms_hosting)

The software failed to install.

I got as far as the "Project Startup" screen with the message "Setting up a new project. This could take several minutes..." and then I waited and waited and waited!  (more than three hours) But in the end I cancelled the job.

These two links show what was going on: 
http://sdrv.ms/1eEXtEn 
http://sdrv.ms/1eEXB6E

The Arvixe support team suggest that I try to re-install.
However, the definition of madness is that you repeat the same actions and expect a different result.

So it seems unwise to invest another 5 hours on re-installation without understanding the cause of the problem.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
Ken Evans
Potential customer

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello Ken,

From the information you have provided I can conclude that you do not have some of the required applications that Sitefinity relies on.

Please make sure you have Microsoft .NET 4.0 and a reliable SQL server like MS SQL 2008, 2012 or MS SQL EXPRESS, Oracle or MySQL. The step at which the installation failed is the attempt to connect to the database server which leads me believe the database name chosen for the site is not created in SQL Server because of database connectivity issue.

Additionally any further information on the matter would be very helpful - a trace of the page and where exactly it gives an error in the console, data from your error log or information on your local machine will be very helpful in resolving your problem.

For more information you can turn to our Documentation.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello Ivan,
Thanks for your reply.
I apologise, but things have moved on a bit since I posted my request five days ago.
This should bring you up to date:
1: Version 5.1 install problems
I tried to install V5.1 on a very up to date hosting service using the msi.
The system has: SQL Server 2012  &    .NET 4.0 and 4.5
I have succesfully installed other msi based applications on this system

2: Version 6.1
Sitefinity sales advised me to forget about V5.1 and download and install V6.1 on my own machine.
Since I could not get V5.1 running from the msi, I downloaded V6.1 and installed it on my local machine.
I had a few problems with the initial installation - mainly because I was confused by what I feel to be a lack of clarity in the installation instructions.
However, after a few days, I had fixed the problems.
V6.1 is now running OK on my local machine (Win 7 Pro, SQL Server Express, .NET 4.5)
Thanks for your response.
Ken

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Oct-2013 00:00

Hello Ken,

I am glad you resolved the problem. 

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed