6.3.5000 Group Page Title SEO

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 13:38

6.3.5000 Group Page Title SEO

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Apr-2014 00:00

I have a fresh site that google started to index and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I am wrong or if this is only because google has not finished indexing.

I have a group page: 'about us' --> 'about us' has one page under it: 'location'

To me it seems that the 'about us' (group page) will be indexed and having as title 'About us'  (what is used for navigation/menu) and as decription the description from the 'location' - real sub page.

Subpage has not been indexed (might because google is not finished yet)

Questions

1) If the group page is index as we might want, shouldnt we be able to set it a title

2) if the group page does pull the description from the first real page is this not a problem. The group page might stay the same but you change order of the pages under it.

3) will the first subpage be indexed as well.

My case is that I think if grouppages are index by google and co then we should be able to define title and decription from them.

www.marktold.com/screencast/sf_group_page_title.swf

Markus

Hi Markus,

My understanding of a group page is that it is not a real page with content, and that it should redirect to the first child page. In that case it does not need a title and description.

On your site the group page has an URL of its own (www.jugendarbeit-rafz.ch/.../über-uns) and the first child has an other URL (www.jugendarbeit-rafz.ch/.../team). Both have the same content though. So the issue is that the group page does not redirect. The result of that is duplicate content, and Google is indexing the wrong page. It will probably index the correct one later too, but the group page should never be indexed at all. I'm not sure if the missing redirect is a bug or a setting.

Dear Arno

The group page does redirect to the team page,or are you talking about it that it did not redirect for google spider?

Markus

Hi Markus,

If I open www.jugendarbeit-rafz.ch/eltern/über-uns in Google Chrome it does not redirect. That's why it can be indexed separately from www.jugendarbeit-rafz.ch/eltern/über-uns/team by Google.

This thread is closed