Forms design in 6.3

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 21:05

Forms design in 6.3

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-May-2014 00:00

Trying to use the Content/Forms control to create a custom form with validation. Everything looks fine in the Content section, labels are left aligned to the input fields, validation set per input field, form looks fine in the "view" page.

When i click the Submit button, nothing happens with the form empty. It should validate and display the errors.

What's even more confusing is that if I select "responses", 0 available, page displays the form and when clicking on Submit, it displays all the validation text!

Further, trying to insert this form into a page, the Forms content block inserts the form, but without any formatting as set in the Content/Forms designer. Labels and input fields are stacked vertically. 

Please advise.

Thanks,

Posted by Community Admin on 10-May-2014 00:00

Hi,

Would it be possible for you to share how are you making the validation of the form on your end? I have recorded a short video demonstrating validation of form fields using regular expressions. Please find the video attached to this reply.

On the styling - The preview functionality in Forms module still works the old way and displays the form outside of the context of the page on which the form actually resides, unlike other content modules in the system. This is why a different set of styles might be applied to it on preview and when dropped on the page. 

By default on Form preview we set the form wrapper with 620px, so you could assign custom CSS class to the wrapper and then drop a CSS widget where your form is placed. Next just assign 620px width of this wrapper (also showed in the video).

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Pavel Benov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 12-May-2014 00:00

@AG

The layout for the forms (.css) will only be applied if you use the basic template. As soon as you use your own template then the .css is not loaded and therefore syling is gone.

So for this matter create an empty page and use on of the standard templates with basic theme. Drag your form to this page and see if formating is correct. If yes than you only need to include the forms .css stuff from the basic theme into your own theme.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 12-May-2014 00:00

@Pavel and @Markus, thanks for your replies.

Re the formatting, yes, we realized what's happening, and not a big issue. I tried to delete the post but apparently there's no provision for that except marking it as "answered".

Since we had another question about the validation, and it appears that Pavel touched on it here, here's what we do: just follow the instructions in one of your videos, by selecting to check for empty fields ("make required") and adding the specific validation for text fields to allow only "alphanumeric" characters in the Advanced>ValidatorDefinition>ExpectedFormat>AlphaNumeric.

Testing this setup by entering text in the field, resulted in error "non alphanumeric characters not allowed", which is contrary to the actual intended validation.

Haven't yet a chance to check the video, but this is more related to the "out-of-the-box" functionality which is apparently not correct.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-May-2014 00:00

Hello AG,

I have tested this on my end and there seems to be a problem with the regular expression on the client that is triggered for the AlphaNumeric format. I have found a bug in our system submitted for this behavior:

http://feedback.telerik.com/Project/153/Feedback/Details/99943-alphanumeric-format-is-not-working-properly

To work around it, set the format back to None and then use the following regular expression in the Regular expression field:

^[-_a-zA-Z0-9]*$

Please excuse us for any inconvenience this might be causing.

Regards,
Pavel Benov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-May-2014 00:00

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for following up on this! We tested your RegEx and it works. Also thanks for submitting it as a bug.
Still on the subject of forms, when entering an email address for notification, is there anything else that needs to be setup in order to make it work? SMTP? I used a personal address and didn't receive an email.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-May-2014 00:00

Hi AG,

Yes, you need to configure your SMTP notification profile and also subscribe to the form. Please take a look at the following Documentation article that explains how you can achieve this:

http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/setup-email-notification-for-form-responses

Regards,
Pavel Benov
Telerik

This thread is closed