No way to change the separator for the forum widget breadcru

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 15:00

No way to change the separator for the forum widget breadcrumb?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Jul-2014 00:00

I tried searching, but only came up with those wanting to modify the regular breadcrumb widget. I'm referring to the ForumsBreadcrumb widget as part of the forum template (<sfForums:ForumsBreadcrumb />), but I see no way of doing so. 

It pulls the separator from a control inside the default template. Here is the default template and accessor code:

<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>

<div class="sfforumPostBreabcrumbWrp">
    <asp:PlaceHolder ID="pagePathHolder" runat="server">
        <asp:Repeater ID="pagePath" runat="server">
            <ItemTemplate>
                <sf:SitefinityHyperLink runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("Title") %>' NavigateUrl='<%# Eval("Url") %>'></sf:SitefinityHyperLink>
            </ItemTemplate>
            <SeparatorTemplate>
                <asp:Literal runat="server"> / </asp:Literal>
            </SeparatorTemplate>
        </asp:Repeater>
        <asp:Literal ID="pagePathSeparator" runat="server"> / </asp:Literal>
    </asp:PlaceHolder>
    <sf:SitefinityHyperLink ID="start" runat="server" Text="<%$Resources: ForumsResources, ForumsTitle %>"></sf:SitefinityHyperLink>
    <asp:Literal ID="groupSeparator" runat="server"> / </asp:Literal>
    <sf:SitefinityHyperLink ID="group" runat="server"></sf:SitefinityHyperLink>
    <asp:Literal ID="forumSeparator" runat="server"> / </asp:Literal>
    <sf:SitefinityHyperLink ID="forum" runat="server"></sf:SitefinityHyperLink>
    <asp:Literal ID="threadSeparator" runat="server"> / </asp:Literal>
    <sf:SitefinityLabel ID="thread" runat="server"></sf:SitefinityLabel>
</div>

Accessor:

private ITextControl ThreadSeparator
    get

return this.Container.GetControl<ITextControl>("threadSeparator", true);

It does this for each separator. I cannot set the separator strings because their accessor properties are marked as private. So, my intention was to use my own modified version of ForumsBreadcrumb.ascx and set these values.

However, I cannot change the LayoutTemplateName property of the control from within the template, since the LayoutTemplateProperty property is GET only.

protected override string LayoutTemplateName
    get

return null;

ALSO, I cannot OVERRIDE the ForumsBreadcrumb control to then override the LayoutTemplateName property, because the class itself is marked as sealed. 

So, how in the hell do you change the default separator of '/' to be something else? Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jul-2014 00:00

Hello Ryan,

You are correct - there is no way to change the breadcrumb separator slash from the template or its codebehind. I am posting the reply for your support ticket for the rest to view:
"I am afraid you do not have the ability to change the breadcrumb separator from our default template. The good thing is that you are able to manipulate the character with JQuery so it can be replaced with one of your choosing. I can recommend the ReplaceAll method. You can apply it to the sfforumPostBreabcrumbWrp id or the forum breadcrumb control."

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thanks for the reply.

Let this be a lesson to the Sitefinity developers as to when NOT to seal a class. Ugh. 

Maybe a future version will allow this? At least remove the "sealed" keyword on the class. Or, allow us to use a different template for that specific breadcrumb control. 

There's no way I'm using a JavaScript hack. 

Thanks.

Hello Ryan,

I believe this request is viable - widget extending is a fairly frequent client request and having widgets with internal methods and properties hinders the process. Please feel free to add this as a future request in our Portal. We will have it in mind and do our best to include it in our future releases.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jul-2014 00:00

Hi guys,

Ryan has logged a feature request for this particular behavior. Feel free to vote and track its progress here

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

This thread is closed