Under construction and can't login

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:01

Under construction and can't login

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jul-2014 00:00

Have a site I've moved to another server. I've updated my hosts file to pretend it's on the same server for testing but I'm getting now a 'thank you' and 'please return' on the front end. And I can not login with my username and password. I had this a while ago but managed to work around/resolve it. Anyone know what this actually is caused by?

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jul-2014 00:00

It's almost like the site forgot about itself. It can't find the root node (my hypothesis), and additionally isn't authenticating against the existing user list. 

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jul-2014 00:00

Hello Richard,

If the site was working fine on one environment, but not on another, the issue most likely is somewhere in the environment setting.

The first thing I could suggest is to double check your environment configurations as described in our online documentation:

Please, check the permissions set to your App_Data folder (your app pool identity needs to have read/write permissions).

I could also advise you to check if you have some redirects, rewrite rules or any other customization in your web.config file which could potentially cause this behavior . In order to put this suspicion out of the equation, best is to backup your current web.config and replace it with a default one from an empty project, matching the version you are using. 

Another approach is to reset a user`s password as you could modify it in your database directly, but before doing this ensure you have a database backup.

Under table sf_users you can see all registered users. Here in my screenshot I have modified the user "admin" and set the new password to "password". Note that I have also deleted the "salt" column and set also the "password_format" to 0.

Last option that comes to my mind is that the user could be locked after several failed password attempts. You could try log with a different user to verify this is not the case.

Regards, Vassil Vassilev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jul-2014 00:00

Tale of the db admin.... :S

He restored my db with no data..... double checked all the way from end to end led me to a 5mb db..... 

Point... don't do this at the end of the day. Thank you. 

This thread is closed