sfref messing up HTML character entities in title attribute

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 09:07

sfref messing up HTML character entities in title attribute

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Aug-2014 00:00

We often need to use the registered trademark symbol on our site, which includes being used in the title attribute.  If used in hyperlinks, for example, that are external this works absolutely fine.  However, if the registered trademark symbol is used in the title attribute for internal site links, ones with the sfref attribute, random characters get inserted before it e.g. ÃƒÆ’ââ.

Every time the content block containing the symbol gets edited and saved, more and more random characters get added and it's not long before it gets to the point where there are so many of these characters it causes the page to freeze and we have no choice but to revert to an older version of the page and re-enter content.  As our Content Editors update most of the content, they are unaware that this is happening because they usually only edit in Design View.  Removing the sfref attribute prevents this from happening, but that's not an option as the hyperlink will no longer be dynamic.

So at the moment we appear to have two choices:

1) Remove the registered trademark symbol from the title attribute.

2) Remove the title altogether.

Neither of which we want to do.

Is there anything else we can do to prevent this from happening and display the registered trademark correctly?  Our site is v5.4 by the way.

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Sep-2014 00:00

Hi Neil,

I was able to reproduce the issue on Sitefinity 5.4 and it adds the encoded symbols, indeed. However, I tested the same on a Sitefinity 7.1 version and I was unable to reproduce it. I have recorded a video (screencast.com/.../aQ1lptXjh4s) on Sitefinity 7.1 behavior of the content block. I would suggest to download and test the Sitefinity 7.1 and recommend to upgrade. With the one step upgrade you can now directly upgrade and take advantage of introduced features and bug fixes.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed