Sitefinity 5.3 Change Sitefinity Log location

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 15:47

Sitefinity 5.3 Change Sitefinity Log location

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2016 00:00

I am using a code from the following link in global.asax to setup my own sitefinity log path.

protected void SetupSitefinityLogPath(object s, ExecutedEventArgs args)

if (args.CommandName == "ConfigureLogging")

var builder = args.Data as ConfigurationSourceBuilder;
        var errorLog = ((Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.LoggingSettings)builder.Get("loggingConfiguration")).TraceListeners.SingleOrDefault(l => l.Name == "ErrorLog")
            as Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.FlatFileTraceListenerData;

var baseLogPath = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["SitefinityLogPath"];
        var timestamp = DateTime.Now.ToString("yyyy.MM.dd.HHmm");
        var lFileName = string.Format("0.1.txt", baseLogPath, timestamp);
        errorLog.FileName = lFileName;

It did not work for me though. When I debug, I see that the following does not return anything.

var errorLog = ((Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.LoggingSettings)builder.Get("loggingConfiguration")).TraceListeners.SingleOrDefault(l => l.Name == "ErrorLog")
            as Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.FlatFileTraceListenerData;

Since errorLog is null, the last line errorLog.FileName returns a null reference exception. Can someone help me on how to resolve the issue.  How do I verify l.Name = "ErrorLog" is the right query there, is there a setting somewhere in sitefinity backend where I can lookup the exact name?

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Apr-2016 00:00

Hi Phani,

Try casting to RollingFlatFileTraceListenerData instead of FlatFileTraceListenerData as per the last provided solution in the forum thread:

http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/general-discussions-/change-logging-directory

protected void SetupSitefinityLogPath(object s, ExecutedEventArgs args)

if (args.CommandName == "ConfigureLogging")

var builder = args.Data as ConfigurationSourceBuilder;

if (builder != null)

var baseLogPath = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["SitefinityLogPath"];
                   var timestamp = DateTime.Now.ToString("yyyy.MM.dd.HHmm");

var sfTraceListeners =((LoggingSettings)builder.Get("loggingConfiguration")).TraceListeners.Cast<RollingFlatFileTraceListenerData>();

foreach (var sfTraceListener in sfTraceListeners)

sfTraceListener.FileName = string.Format(sfTraceListener.Name.ToLower().EndsWith("log") ? "01.2.txt" : "01Log.2.txt",
                                                                baseLogPath, sfTraceListener.Name, timestamp);

Regards,
Pavel Benov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed