Designer Toolbox Bug with Latest Chrome/Firefox

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 19:39

Designer Toolbox Bug with Latest Chrome/Firefox

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Dec-2016 00:00

Hello,

Sitefinity version: 9.1.6100.0 PU

We are getting a very serious and urgent issue on the Sitefinity designers when using the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox.

Attempting to drag any widget from the toolbox to the form/page results in serious JavaScript errors which cause the designer to stop working completely, as well as deleting the toolbox items!

Here is a video of the error: https://sendvid.com/1o83xq84

Uncaught DOMException: Failed to execute 'createEvent' on 'Document': The provided event type ('PointerEvent') is invalid.
    at Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ZoneEditor._onToolboxDockDragStart

We need this issue resolved ASAP, as it is not easy to rollback to earlier versions of these browsers!

Regards,
Clinton

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Dec-2016 00:00

Yes, very serious.  Confirmed in Sitefinity v8.2.5900.0 in Chrome v55.0.2883.87 from 12/9/2016 - haven't tested in Firefox.

Edited to add:  The code that's failing suggests using IE may be a workaround.  Here are the relevant lines (the second is the one that fails):

var hasVendorPrefix=/mspointer/i.test(eventType);

var evt=document.createEvent(hasVendorPrefix?"MSPointerEvent":"PointerEvent");

Edited to add 2:  Confirmed not an issue in IE 11, even though Microsoft announced the end of support for the "MS"-prefixed event object (it just returns the non-prefixed one now).  Also confirmed that it is an issue in FF 50.1.  In the case of Chrome and FF, the window object still exposes a PointerEvent method, but the document.createEvent method does not support an event type parameter of "PointerEvent".

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Dec-2016 00:00

Thank you for posting this here. I can confirm the issue also occurs in the latest Sitefinity 9.2.6210.0 with Chrome 55.0.2883.87. Indeed a hotfix is required asap. Firefox 50.1.0 works fine for me.

This again shows how extremely important it is to thoroughly test all functionality of a website after upgrading Sitefinity, before deploying it to a live server.

Did you submit a case to Support?

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Dec-2016 00:00

Yes, we created a case with Progress Sitefinity support.

I will let you know if anything changes, as of now we are rolling back our browsers to continue development and advising all customers to not update their browser in the meantime.

Related:

http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/issue-with-drag-and-drop-functionality-in-chrome-55

https://feedback.telerik.com/Project/153/Feedback/Details/207581-unable-to-place-widgets-on-page

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Dec-2016 00:00

Thanks Clinton.  Did they give you an estimated date for a fix to become available?

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Dec-2016 00:00

Arno, they haven't given me or any others an ETA as of yet.

Lots of frustrated users on the bug report.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Dec-2016 00:00

Thanks for the heads up. We're having the same issue which is causing us serious problems. Let us know when you hear anything back from Sitefinity. 

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Mar-2017 00:00

Same problem here. We're running two separate websites on version Sitefinity 9.1.6110.0 SE.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Mar-2017 00:00

Hi Chris,

This has been solved in the latest hotfix.

This thread is closed