Sitefinity 5 on Windows 10 Creators Update
Since my machine was automatically updated to Windows 10 Creators Update, our Sitefinity 5 site hasn't worked locally.
Whenever I go to hit a Sitefinity managed URL, I am redirected to the Licensing page, where I am prompted to add a license.
I upload the license which has been working on the previous Windows 10 Anniversary Update, and I get a 'Configuration Error' Exception, where 'No permission set is defined with the name of "Pages"':
This only started happening after the Win10 CU update, which seems to have included .NET 4.7 as an in-place replacement for all other .NET Frameworks. I'm guessing the root cause is something to do with the license check, although without further information I can't tell.
Anyone else seen this, and does anyone have any ideas on how to get past this?
I have had a ticket in on this for a couple weeks. They only fix is to rollback the update... I don't know what the plan is, but they said Windows 10 isn't supported which is just insane :/
Let's hope they can resolve this quickly in a hotfix it something.
Hi, I'm having the same problem but with Sitefinity 10 and Another error message at startup.
Any new on this (I can't roll back so this is a real problem)
Is it like a policy at work where you can't? Because LITERALLY the only fix is to uninstall it. Please put in a ticket so they know it's not just me with the issue.
We have seen the same "class" of problems with SiteFinity 8.1 after the Creator Update: our projects will start, then fail to initialize the SecurityManager with a "key already exists" error.
The issue cropped up for two members of our team with the Creator Update, while the same code (and a fresh checkout from source) works fine for team members who are still on Anniversary.
We are in the process of rolling back, but the rollback broke our Visual Studio installs... so now we watch progress bars.
Apparently a fix is coming around the end of the week.
Oh man, this just got us we think... New staff member spending hours trying to debug, then he found this thread.
My only concern is that we've installed off an ISO that maybe has Creators update rolled into it?? Hope we can roll back...
The only thing borked for me on a rollback was a couple baked in Windows store apps like Skype...
I would rather though wait a day or 2 to see if the fix comes with the friday release...
Yeah, just confirmed we can't roll back the update, because it was baked into the latest Win10 ISO image.
Brett is researching any workaround, but we think it might be reinstall Windows time...............
In my ticket I asked the awesome support agent to get someone to give us an update here
Steve, in your ticket, did they share what they were going to do?
Obviously, we run sites that run from Sitefinity 5.1 through 10, so if there's a patch, we're going to have to get it for any version we currently support.
If someone from SF doesn't post here by tomorrow, we'll throw in a ticket as well. I can't believe this hasn't manifested itself internally at SF during the demo builds?
Just installed .net 4.7 on a server 2012 R2 and am getting the same 'An item with the same key has already been added' with sitefinity 8.1
Not sure what to do.
EDIT: uninstalling .net 4.7 (Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3186539)) fixed it
Just a quick update, I have a direct connection with both people at Progress and Microsoft (.NET team) and both are parties are discussing and working on a solution. Progress are working on a new version and Microsoft are looking at (at least for me a test of a .NET "fix").
Regarding timeframe dont really know my guess next week (just my personal guess)
We are aware of the problem with the Creators update. The issue strives from changes in the .NET Framework 4.7 that comes with this update and as such it is quite hard to create fix. A fix must pass a set of tests to ensure there is no other regression. During the development of the fix some other problems were also discovered that slowed down the release of the fix. It is also important to note that a fix must also ensure compatibility with operating systems not running .NET 4.7 which is not an easy task on its own.
On top of that the behavioral changes caused by the .NET update differ depending on the Sitefinity version which further complicates the story as the fix would need to be different for each version.
With the above information in mind it is crucial to understand that it is a serious effort from our side to fix this particular problem for .NET 4.7 and we are doing the best we can. Even though the issue seems trivial it alters a vital part of the Sitefinity initialization process and developing a fix for that is not very trivial.
At the moment we are preparing to release an internal build for Sitefinity 10.0 tomorrow (Friday, 19th of May) and a hot-fix will follow-up early next week. We will continue our efforts in investigating what are the possibilities to deliver fixes for older versions.
Telerik by Progress
Thanks for the update, I dont think anyone assumes it's trivial though. Sucks on your end getting hit by things out of your control (like the chrome drag\drop issue a few months back)
Thanks for the update. Definitely agree, it's not your fault at all, it's all on Microsoft for forcing these stupid in-place framework updates that break things. Why they couldn't do a side by side install is beyond me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hopefully there's some good news for those of us still on Sitefinity 5.
An update from our side.
Due to some unexpected turn of events the release of an internal build for Sitefinity 10.0 has been postponed for Monday next week (22nd of May). The good news is that we are also preparing to release fixes for versions 7.0 - 9.2. We hope to be able to finish the release of those by the end of next week.
It is still unclear whether a fix for versions below Sitefinity 7.0 is at all possible.
Telerik by Progress
Has the hotfix been posted to our accounts for download yet?
The HotFix and internal builds for Sitefinity 10 have been released.
You can refer to the Sitefinity version notes for more information about the hotfix: http://www.sitefinity.com/product/version-notes/sitefinity-10.0-hotfix3
You can refer to the Internal Builds forum posts for more information about the Internal Build: http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/internal-builds/sitefinity-10.0-internal-builds#HlZBDcE3622pWP8AAERlJg
You can keep track on the version notes page and on the internal builds forum for information about the release of fixes for earlier versions.
Any timeframe on early versions (8,9)?
Hotfixes and Internal Builds for all versions from 7.0 and above have now been released. Refer to the following KB article for more information and exact build numbers: http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/sitefinity-and-net-4-7-compatibility-issues
Telerik by Progress
Is there any plans for Sitefinity 6? We still manage about 20 6.0 sites and most of them are not going to want to upgrade. We really need this hotfix for those clients as well.
So glad to have found this information! In our case, We are using Sitefinity 5.1, so no hotfix has been made available that we know of. I'm not sure if that version is supported anymore (but it would be very good to know). Our solution was to manually uninstall asp.net 4.7 and install 4.6.2 as described here: blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/.../
Then we prevented the automatic installation of 4.7 as described here: support.microsoft.com/.../how-to-temporarily-block-installation-of-the-net-framework-4-7
After the uninstall/reinstall, I had to reset the .NET framework selection in the site's application pool back to version 4. Then the site came right back up.
I hope this helps someone - and if anyone knows if Sitefinity 5 is still supported, would you please let me know?