Error upgrading from Sitefinity 8 to 10

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 12:45

Error upgrading from Sitefinity 8 to 10

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Aug-2017 00:00

Hello,

I am upgrading a project from version 8 to 10 and followed nuget method for that purpose.  I have also manually changed authentication method in web config. After building the project without any issues, it threw a runtime exception as below

Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.ActivationException was unhandled by user code
  HResult=-2146233088
  Message=Activation error occurred while trying to get instance of type LogWriter, key ""
  Source=Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation
  StackTrace:
       at Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.ServiceLocatorImplBase.GetInstance(Type serviceType, String key) in c:\Projects\CommonServiceLocator\main\Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation\ServiceLocatorImplBase.cs:line 53
       at Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.ServiceLocatorImplBase.GetInstance[TService]() in c:\Projects\CommonServiceLocator\main\Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation\ServiceLocatorImplBase.cs:line 90
       at Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Log.get_Writer()
       at Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Log.Write(LogEntry log)
       at Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Log.Write(Object message, ICollection`1 categories, Int32 priority, Int32 eventId, TraceEventType severity, String title, IDictionary`2 properties)
       at Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Log.Write(Object message, String category, Int32 priority, Int32 eventId, TraceEventType severity, String title, IDictionary`2 properties)
       at Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Log.Write(Object message, String category)
       at Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Log.Write(Object message, ConfigurationPolicy category)
       at Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.HandleBootstrapException(Exception exception)
  InnerException: Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ResolutionFailedException
       HResult=-2146233088
       Message=Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.LogWriter", name = "(none)".
Exception occurred while: while resolving.
Exception is: InvalidOperationException - The type LogWriter cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.
-----------------------------------------------
At the time of the exception, the container was:

Resolving Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.LogWriter,(none)

Source=Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities
       TypeRequested=LogWriter
       StackTrace:
            at Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides)
            at Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides)
            at Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.Resolve(Type t, String name, ResolverOverride[] resolverOverrides)
            at Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityServiceLocator.DoGetInstance(Type serviceType, String key)
            at Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.ServiceLocatorImplBase.GetInstance(Type serviceType, String key) in c:\Projects\CommonServiceLocator\main\Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation\ServiceLocatorImplBase.cs:line 49
       InnerException: System.InvalidOperationException
            HResult=-2146233079
            Message=The type LogWriter cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.
            Source=Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities
            StackTrace:
                 at Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodConstructorStrategy.GuardTypeIsNonPrimitive(IBuilderContext context, SelectedConstructor selectedConstructor)
                 at Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodConstructorStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
                 at Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
                 at Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlanCreatorPolicy.CreatePlan(IBuilderContext context, NamedTypeBuildKey buildKey)
                 at Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
                 at Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
                 at Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides)
            InnerException:

On screen it shows initialization failed with following error

Unable to load config section "systemConfig" ---> Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2017.2.621.40, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

But in properties I can see that mentioned version is referenced in the solution.

Is there anything I am missing? Or do I need to upgrade it to Sitefinity 9 first?

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Aug-2017 00:00

I went with multi step upgrade. So I upgraded first from Sitefinity 8 to 9, and then 9 to 10.  While upgrading from 9 to 10 I found out that Telerik.Sitefinity.Mvc package was getting uninstalled automatically. I checked and found out that there were two different versions present for that in the packages folder. So deleted the older version and upgrade was successful. 

So Issue may be this package from the beginning.

This thread is closed