multi-level content selector (taxonomy or multilevel list?)

Posted by svict4 on 23-Jul-2019 00:56

Folks I'm building a simple "multi-level selector" to link off to content. Easy enough?

I want to ensure that our business area/non-techs are able to edit this logic easily (change where links go to for example)

Do we think taxonomies are the best way to maintain this? Or maybe some sort of text/flatfile that is editible (i'm new to sitefinity)

Here's an example data structure

and our frontend would have two (or however many dropdowns) and the button would send you off to the content.

This should be easy enough, but again not sure what the best way to start developing this widget

All Replies

Posted by svict4 on 23-Jul-2019 01:21

Hmm actually maybe this will help: www.progress.com/.../display-hierarchy-of-content-items

Edit: ah maybe not, I don't need a seperate piece of content for each level, I just need to assign a combination to a piece of content

Posted by svict4 on 23-Jul-2019 02:24

Alright yeah I'm confused.

Looks like I may need a dynamic content type (so I can have a hierarchy), which means I need a module?

Posted by jread on 23-Jul-2019 03:42

You could use tags or categories (I recommend this to build hierarchy) for this, you will still need a piece of content to assign those too, so a dynamic module build with Module builder would be a good choice.  Your widget then can use the TaxonomyManager.GetStatistics() to get all the tags or categories assigned to your content type and build your menus by Taxon level.

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../how-to-get-all-items-to-which-a-category-is-assigned-using-the-api

Posted by svict4 on 23-Jul-2019 03:55

Cool I'll try that, thanks again jread!

Just another related question, Sitefinity does not have multi-level lists (lists of lists) out of the box, correct?

Posted by jread on 23-Jul-2019 04:14

With a custom content type built with the module builder, you can build you hierarchy as you feel needed

This thread is closed