Widget Detail view requiring login

Posted by bwilson on 18-Jul-2019 17:57

We are currently running Sitefinity 10.2 and are mainly using Web forms. I'm trying to convert things to MVC over time, so we can do away with Web forms once and for all.

I have a very old custom module (was in the site when delivered to us; built in version 6.something) to which I've just added more fields and a child data type. I had the default widget templates rebuilt when I saved the changes. 

Now, when I drop the generated MVC widget onto an MVC templated page, I can view the list-view no problem, but clicking on the detail view (set to auto-generate a page and using the default template), I'm asked to log into Sitefinity to view the content. Can anyone think of any reason why this happens?

(At first, I was using a custom widget template and thought there was something wrong with that. But returning it to the default template hasn't helped, and I'm still being asked to login.)

All Replies

Posted by jread on 19-Jul-2019 11:54

Can you check the permissions on the module content, were view permissions denied for you or any other roles/users?

Posted by bwilson on 19-Jul-2019 14:23

Good question. I did check that yesterday after my post, I should have updated my question. View is set to "Everyone". 

Also, it does seem odd to me that the list view works fine if it were a permission issue on the module. I did remove the extra fields I added from the detail view to see if those where the issue, but that didn't change things. 

Posted by bwilson on 19-Jul-2019 15:25

Interesting. I went into another custom module and regenerated the default widget templates to get the basic MVC templates for the module (they did not exist since the site was created on SF version 6). The same thing happens when I try to drop the widget for that module on a page. So, there is something in our site that seems to be universally preventing folks from seeing the detail view of an MVC module widget.

Posted by bwilson on 19-Jul-2019 16:17

I found this article: [View:https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/Unable-to-access-dynamic-items-permissions-section-after-an-upgrade-to-Sitefinity-7-3:550:50]

I unzipped the files in the solution to the server - putting them all in the root directory - and, as instructed, altered the module for my module. But when I loaded the .aspx file in a webrowser, I received an error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'SitefinityWebApp.FixPermissionsWebForm'.

Source Error: 

Line 1:  <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="FixPermissionsWebForm.aspx.cs" Inherits="SitefinityWebApp.FixPermissionsWebForm" %>
Line 2:  
Line 3:  <!DOCTYPE html>

Source File: /FixPermissionsWebForm.aspx    Line: 1 

:

Posted by jread on 19-Jul-2019 18:55

The aspx page needs to be compiled and can not be directly deployed to a server.  You will need to do this through Visual Studio

Posted by bwilson on 19-Jul-2019 20:01

Oh well, d'uh. Sorry, former php developer who got spoiled/nostalgic working on MVC views and forgot all about the clumsy compilation thing.

I have compiled, re-uploaded the file and the .dll. The script ran and the problem still exists. I'm thinking at this point I should open a trouble ticket.

Posted by bwilson on 29-Jul-2019 21:12

Going to post the solution here in case anyone is doesn't know this:

There are two places to go to look for permissions on your custom modules. One is under /administration/permissions and one under Content Type/Type/Permissions. I needed to change the permissions in the later, whereas I'd just been looking at the former.

This thread is closed