Html5 Elements

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 02:45

Html5 Elements

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Sep-2011 00:00

What if you gave us a combo or radio buttons in the layout properties area to define the html5 elements which will be rendered?

So instead of a two column being (div-div) I could make it (article-aside) with a couple clicks of the mouse...certainly better than having an entire set of dedicated layout elements.

...any plans to support that?

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2011 00:00

@Steve,

They first need to add changing the doctype ability, I've asked for in a ticket some months back. If you want to start using html5 now, you'll have to create a custom masterpage to even get started, without a proper doctype the whole idea of semantic page markup is kinda useless.

Selecting a document type on a template is low on the priority list or difficult to implement although in my blonde opinion it would just be a matter of a dropdown with 3 values (html5/xhtml/html4) on creating a template and the selected value replacing a placeholder.

Second problem you run into is the the lang="something" property on the html declaration. HTML5 validation borks if you leave that out, so there should be some method that fills that value on a page level. (the <html> tag gets set on a template level but you can have multiple localized pages implementing the template) 

Thirdly if they're going to add some form of article/aside/header implementation they should implement it correctly so it'll support the 'role=' attribution as well...

@Jochem

Yeah, agreed, I mean clearly it's not a drop a layout and change a property thing :) ...I wanted to implement the html5 items on my site which DOES have a physical master so I could change the doctype.  Perhaps Doctype needs to be a property of the template builder then eh?

I think it'd be a smart thing to push towards...spec isn't final obviously but everyone and their dog is jumping on board so it'd be a nice selling feature to be able to whip up an html5 based page not knowing anything about html5

(so obviously...additionally....the VIDEO widget needs work then)

@Steve,

Totally agree on the video widget, am working on a long suggestion post for it.. 
Was just using your post as a leg-up to for bringing the doctype under renewed attention :)

Already transformed the standard event-widget templates to use these new tags including the microdata support, dabbling with .ics inclusion but when SP comes out this week and they're done I'll mail them to you.

J.

@Jochem

Yeah, I put iCal into the last site I released :D (used the DDay library)

@Steve,

Libraries are for books :p I hate not being original but glad to see I'm not alone at missing that feature...

Hi Steve and Jockem,

I am very glad to see a discussion like this. In such discussions you can see the actual need of the people, not just a rant, but structured feedback.
I am sending your feedback to a wider audience within the team. Hopefully we will address these concerns quickly.

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Well we can rant if you want...incoherently will cost a bit extra though ;)

I haven't got Steve's cute snout or droopy blue eyes so I  may rant on occasion, but full HTML5/CSS3 support should go higher up the priority ladder instead of things like bringing back .NET 3.5 compatibility.

With a little effort behind it and some embedded template alternations v4.4 could be fully 'semantic html5-output' compliant, tying directly into end-user wishes and if you're uncertain about it, include a html5-shim to support legacy browsers or take a dependency on Modernizr which Microsoft does as well.

End-user clients demand it, whether it's just latest fashion and eye-candy or actually use full. You can't lead ahead of the standard naturally but the 'semantics' (microdata/section/article/multiple headers &nav sections) that's been finalized and actually beneficial in a Google/SEO way. 

Next to that it gives you guys the sales edge towards the SEO guys complaining about not being able to easily do A/B / MultiVariant testing while you guys develop towards that Q1 2012. 

If you guys manage to integrate http://www.schema.org/docs/schemas.html as a new form of taxonomy next to tags and categories you'd even be further ahead of the curve...

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Jochem, Steve,

Thank you once again for the feedback. We are alway happy to listen what our customers want. .
We will try to address most of your comments.

Best wishes,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed