Roles Administration Limitations

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 18:13

Roles Administration Limitations

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Dec-2015 00:00

Hi - For our multi-site implementation we have roles for each site, and as we have a large number of sites, we have a large number of roles.

We wanted to implement a new naming standard for roles, which would correspond with a similar naming standard for site names. Where modifying site names is existing admin functionality, you cannot modify the name of a role. The only option is to create a new one, and delete the old.

The UX for roles differs from many other admin functions. Even though there is only one field, having the form field appearing in the bar at the top of the page is inconsistent and resembles a search field, which is what I thought it was the first time I saw it. Modifying a role name is something that should exist - any label should be able to be modified for this reason.

As a result, we are going to have mixed naming standard and non-standard role names. I'd welcome some insight into why this is.

Thanks.

mp/m

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Dec-2015 00:00

Hello,

You can use our API to change the names of the roles. You can find a sample below:

RoleManager roleManager = RoleManager.GetManager();

var role = roleManager.GetRoles().Where(r => r.Name == "RoleName").SingleOrDefault();
role.Name = "NewCustomName";
roleManager.SaveChanges();

Regards,
Velizar Bishurov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2015 00:00

Hi - thanks for the reply. We have discussed doing this but will opt not to, and rather are raising this up as a feature request.

mp/m

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Dec-2015 00:00

Hi,

You can find the feature request here: feedback.telerik.com/.../178315-ui-for-changing-a-roles-name

Regards,
Velizar Bishurov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jul-2016 00:00

The irony of this having to be logged as a "Feature Request".

A feature request? To have the UI capable of changing the name of a role? 

Velizar - I'd be embarrassed to have given the solution, "Use our API" to change the name of a role

You've just asked your customer to spend valuable resources to do something that is in your domain not the customer's. It's not a feature request or a bug, it's completely missing and should be there. This view is counter intuitive and doesn't follow the majority of other Sitefinity admin views where you would expect the search looking box to do a search and the create button to initiate a separate Create Window/View. 

This thread is closed