Going from Thunder 1.0.1 to 1.0.3

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 10:45

Going from Thunder 1.0.1 to 1.0.3

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Mar-2012 00:00

Upgrading:
Well the extension upgrade itself went smooth but project wise I wasn't aware at first there was any upgrading needed. Right clicking the Thunder theme still uploaded the themes to the project. Only after accidentily clicking the thunder explorer I was presented with a message that the installed Thunder Module wasn't updated. 

Perhaps after the next update a redirect to an 'upgrade documentation/release page' instead of the standard documentation would be best cause it was only by accident I discovered the 'register widget' icon on the Solution Explorer as well.

So I went ahead and chose 'Install Sitefinity Thunder Module' which only worked on my remote site and not my working copy solution. (Maybe this is because I keep the .config files as a seperate project in the solution?) And manually had to copy/paste back the changes into my working copy.

Error message: thunder.svc not found.
Manually browsing through the Sitefinity error.log gave me this:

Type : System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException, System.ServiceModel, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Message : The service '/Sitefinity/Public/Services/Thunder/ThunderService.svc' does not exist.
Source : System.ServiceModel.Activation

But nowhere in Sitefinity this error message is shown (not as a pop-up or on output).

Thunder and VisualStudio solutions/project.
There has been some small debate going on about what to do with configuration/storage folders, source control and deployment instances. Perhaps its time you guys do a best practices aka 'this works'.

Whenever I do a project that is image heavy, I tend to use the filestorage provider. Using 'publish' to deploy to various instances I keep the configuration files outside of the normal VS2010 project as well. So in a 'normal' solution I've got a minimum of 3 projects:

- ThunderTheme. (the thunder proj with the theme)
- SitefinityConfiguration (the configuration and storage folder)
- SitefinityWebApp. (the regular Sitefinity project without configuration or storage)
(See screenshot)

But the 'register a widget functionality' doesn't work 'solution wide' as stated. All I'm getting is an 'Could not find configuration folder' message and then followed by the empty register widget screen.

So you might want to change this in the documentation that registering a widget only works inside the project and not inside the solution.

And perhaps by default all error messages can be shown in output as well?

Jochem.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello Jochem,

We're working on improving the update process for the next release. About the config files -  only with the default Sitefinity project is processed - SitefinityWebApp (web project with a reference to Telerik.Sitefinity.Dll). Supporting custom solution/project organization is a different task because the possibilities in Visual Studio are endless. Alternative approach to yours will be to use a post build task to update the configuration files depending on the solution configuration. So it will be just changing the connection to the database if this is the case.

What we'll try to do for the upcoming release is to provide much easier way for updating of Thunder module in existing projects and have better error messages too. Which should solve the issue with the thunder.svc that you found.

All the best,
Pavel Iliev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Mar-2012 00:00

Hey Pavel,

Thanks for the response. 

I understand storing the config files in a different project which is part of the solution is a 'custom' thing. Having a clue to what to do in that 'custom setup' to get the ball rolling would be greatly appreciated.

Just as a tip, since Thunder is a 'developer' tool for Visual Studio and developers understand the  difference between 'project' and 'solution' I would change the documentation to state that it works 'project wide' and not 'solution wide'.

Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Apr-2012 00:00

Hello Jochem,

Thank you for the tip, we will update the Thunder documentation.

Regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed