Custom User Controls

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 14:55

Custom User Controls

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jun-2012 00:00

I haven't used Thunder yet so I am a complete noob as to how to use it but I cannot find a way to push out a custom user control to my projects.  Is this even possible?  From the features on the download page Download Page, it doesn't look like it is.  Any ideas?

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jun-2012 00:00

Hello Brett,

You can create your own user or custom controls in Sitefinity's solution and you can use Sitefinity Thunder to register them as page widgets. Thunder can also help you create a designer for your new widget.

For more information about Sitefinity Thunder you can check the documentation.

Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding Sitefinity Thunder.

All the best,
Marin Atanasov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Apr-2015 00:00

Hi Telerik Team,

We have created one user control in visual studio installed on my development machine. I need to register this user control to production machine . I have tried several ways to register, i can register the widget manually by copying the files and through settings in admin interface .

Another way i tried to point the current active connection to production server and  i tried to register the widget from my current solution explorer, the widget gets registered locally , but not in production machine .  

Other than copy and moving the files manually, do we have the option to deploy it directly to production machine from my development machine using sitefinity thunder or by any other way????. 

And another question :

when my current active connection points to remote server , At this time ,Do we have the option to view the complete remote application files  and folders in my current visual studio solution explorer ?

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Apr-2015 00:00

Hello,

To move files that compile like custom widgets that have classes with implementation in them those files needs to get compiled after being uploaded to the live environment. The compilation will move the implementation of the control in the site assembly, if your site project is named as the default Sitefinity project SitefinityWebApp then the assembly name is SitefinityWebApp.dll.

The above makes moving compilation files between environments a little specific. Even if the controls created in development environment are moved and registered to live environment when placed on a page those controls will throw an error because the files haven`t been compiled in order to update SitefinityWebApp.dll .

To move the controls I recommend to move also SitefinityWebApp.dll, just make sure there are no differences in the controls available for the site in dev and live environment.

Other than copy and moving the files manually, do we have the option to deploy it directly to production machine from my development machine using sitefinity thunder or by any other way????. 
Thunder offers functionality to perform Code Sync and Code Deploy. Other than this the above approach to deploy an assembly can be used.

Do we have the option to view the complete remote application files  and folders in my current visual studio solution explorer ?
Only themes and template directories will be displayed, Thunder will not render the complete file structure.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Oct-2015 00:00

When we create any user control in sitefinityWebApp then that user control also have 3 files(i.e., markup, code behind and designer files). When I need to move my code in production server then Should I need to move all of these 3 files with the DLL of my solution(sitefinityWebApp.dll)? Please suggest

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Oct-2015 00:00

Hi Telerik Team,

I have two question for sitefinity. Please provide me the detail on the beloow two questions:

Question 1: When we create any master in sitefinityWebApp, App_Data folder then that master have 3 files(i.e., markup, code behind and designer files). When I need to move my code in production server then Should I need to move all of these 3 files with the DLL of my solution(sitefinityWebApp.dll).

Also, Can I move the 2 files(i.e, markup and code behind) and updated the markup Master directive with CodeBehid to CodeFile.( Example:
<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Homepage.master.cs" Inherits="Homepage" %>)

I have found the below note on the telerik page that is:
NOTE: When you are working with Visual Studio in development environment, instead of the ~/App_Data folder of your website, you can create ~/App_Master and ~/App_Theme directly in the root of the project. This will allow you to use Visual Studio templates, because they will not appear when you work under ~/App_Data.
When you are ready with the development and you can go live and distribute the project you can move your files in your ~/App_Data folder, as described in the procedure above.

Why it is necessary to create a new folder of App_Master on the root if it is in App_Data.

Question 2: I want to create a dynamic tab custom control in the admin side on which I can place the content on the respective tab.

When i save this data then I need to show that block on the userside with mutitab structure.

Can you please provide the detail on this. How I can achive this functionality. Also, Can you please provide the example for this.

Is it possible to create dynamic tab on that user control, means there should be a button on which we can click of adding the another tab for that custom widget and every tab have there respective content, which we can show on the user side.

Please suggest.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Oct-2015 00:00

Hi,

To answer the questions:
When I need to move my code in production server then Should I need to move all of these 3 files with the DLL of my solution(sitefinityWebApp.dll)?

Yes all three files are a single asp.net usercontrol and are inseparable.
Moving SitefinityWebApp.dll also needs to be moved since is contains the compiled code for the user control.

Question 1: When we create any master in sitefinityWebApp, App_Data folder then that master have 3 files(i.e., markup, code behind and designer files). When I need to move my code in production server then Should I need to move all of these 3 files with the DLL of my solution(sitefinityWebApp.dll). 
Yes.
In case the master page is not linked to its codebehind then only the .master file can be moved, in this case the Master directive will be without the path to the codebehind.

<%@ Master Language="C#"  AutoEventWireup="true"%>
*This is not related specifically to Sitefinty refer to asp.net master pages for additional info.

For the additional note "I have found the below note on the telerik page that is:" Sitefinity doesn`t have this requirement, there is no need for this, let me know the link that states this and if it is coming from Sitefinity documentation.

For Question 2: To crate a control that is placed in Sitefinity backend (admin side) first create a backend page from Administration->Backend pages. This page will appear as link in the backend navigation menu and on it place the tab control.

For the implementation of the tab control refer to this documentation.
As an example of a control that can render tabs refer to radmenu in this demo.

Regards,

Stanislav Velikov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Nov-2015 00:00

Below is the link for the additional note: 

docs.sitefinity.com/create-a-template-using-a-master-page

Please suggest.

There is one more question. How we can create any content page in site. I  don’t want to show that page in navigation, and don’t show on sitemap. Just link I need to send a page link for any user or customer . Please suggest.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Nov-2015 00:00

Hello,

To have a page not visible in navigation and sitemap go to Actions->Title & Properties of the page and uncheck the Show in navigation checkbox, here is a screenshot.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik

This thread is closed