Test connection succeeds but actual connection fails

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 20:04

Test connection succeeds but actual connection fails

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Nov-2012 00:00

The attached image shows that I get a successful test connection to my Sitefinity site, but the connection fails in Sitefinity explorer. Also, if I click the Download button in the connection dialog, I get an error saying it failed to connect.

This is a fresh Windows 8/VS2012 installation with just the Thunder extension downloaded. I have no project (I was hoping to have it create one for me - not sure if this is possible - the video skips over this step), no other Sitefinity extensions installed and I do not have any other Sitefinity software or a Sitefinity web site on the machine locally.

The remote Sitefinity site is 5.x. My understanding is that nothing special should have to be done on that end for versions 5 and higher.

What do I have to do next? Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2012 00:00

Hello Greg,

Sitefinity Thunder consists of 2 parts:
1. The Visual Studio extension which you have already installed.
2. The Sitefinity module which needs to be installed in your Sitefinity project. It must be the same version as the Visual Studio extension which you are using. This basically means that you need to update the module every time you install/update your VS extension. There are 2 ways to install/update the Sitefinity module: in a local project or in a remote project.

Test connection is successful because it tests only your username/password. The membership provider combo box is disabled and Sitefinity Explorer gives you an error both because the VS extension was unable to connect to its module in the Sitefinity project.

Please let me know if continue to reproduce this issue after upgrading the module in your Sitefinity project.

Kind regards,
Marin Atanasov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2012 00:00

Marin,

I do not have any local projects. I am trying to set up a development environment and workflow for an existing site that does not involve FTPing raw .ascx files around.

I do not know if I have a remote project or not. If I have a Sitefinity site on the server, is that also a remote project, or do I have to do something special to create a remote project? The link you gave instructs me to click the Download button in the Connection dialog, but that fails as I originally described.

The video located at www.youtube.com/watch clearly shows the Sitefinity Explorer working even with no project open. This is what I'm trying to do, but it fails.

The video located at www.sitefinity.com/.../installing-and-using-sitefinity-thunder clearly shows no open project at 0:55, but after installing the extension and restarting VS at 1:20, there is magically an open project without an explanation as to how it got there. This is the important step I am missing.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2012 00:00

Hello Greg,

I am not sure what you mean by trying to set up development environment and workflow and how you are expecting Thunder to help you.

By remote project I mean every project which you do not have local access to. The download button should work if you have a project where you have some version of the Thunder module installed and working. This should be true for all projects with version 5.*. In the newer versions of Sitefinity, you can go to site's backend -> Administration -> Modules and see if Thunder is installed and enabled. If you are unable to resolve this issue, I would recommend opening a ticket about this to send us your solution and database so that we can test it locally.

Sitefinity Explorer works using the connection which you have created. It does not require you to have the project opened locally. This will work after you resolve the issue with the Thunder module in your Sitefinity project.

In the second video, Josh installed the extension and after restarting, he opened a Sitefinity project which he has created using the Project Manager. Thunder does not create Sitefinity projects, it is a development tool which is designed to help you work with Sitefinity more easily. To create a new Sitefinity project, please use the Project Manager.

Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Kind regards,
Marin Atanasov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed