Register Toolbox Widget says it succeeds, but it doesn't

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 18:43

Register Toolbox Widget says it succeeds, but it doesn't.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Dec-2012 00:00

I am working on a 5.1 web project. I have installed Thunder on my local development project and also on the project running on a QA server.  Using VS 2010 with my local development project open I can connect Thunder to the QA server and get a list of Website Templates and Common Widget Templates in the Sitefinity Explorer.

I downloaded the Poll widget provided by Telerik from the Marketplace and got it working it in my local development project.  I then tried using the Thunder "Register Toolbox Widget" to 'deploy' the Poll widget to the QA server from my local development environment and it says that it succeeds, but I do not see the control registered on the QA server backend, nor is the widget source stored on the QA server.

Perhaps I'm misundersting what Thunder is supposed do.  I thought it was a tool to enable developing new functionality in a development environment and then pushing that functionality out to a new environment.  Is this not the case?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Dec-2012 00:00

Hi Brad,

Sitefinity thunder is indeed aimed at allowing developers create new controls for their projects, however at the moment it is not a deployment tool which will deploy changes from one environment to the other. Also the creation of widgets and designers as well as registering them only in the current project opened in Visual Studio. 

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Feb-2013 00:00

Thanks for the response.

That being the case I don't really understand why Thunder would connect to a server at all then.  If I have the project open in VS on my local box what does connecting to a server get me? 

The Thunder documentation seems to suggest that it does, in fact, deploy Themes at least, or am I reading that wrong as well.

http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/uploading-a-theme-from-a-sitefinity-project-to-another-remote-sitefinity-project

Thanks again for the help.

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2013 00:00

Hello Brad,

As you properly pointed out, Thunder allows you to directly create new themes and tupload them directly to the website, if you have specified that in your connection settings. However, this is not the only thing the connection is used for. Practically, all the functionalities in Sitefinity explorer are related to it. For example, when such connection is established, yuo can directly edit widget templates of the project. You can also choose the dynamic content, which will be used in a dynamic moudle selector. Thunder will use the connection to get this information from the project and will make it available for you through Visual Studio. I would recommend you to observe the Connect to Sitefinity and Manage Widget and Website Templates articles from this page. They will provide you will additional information about the connection with the project.

Regards,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed