Feature that would save me some time

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 02:49

Feature that would save me some time

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jan-2013 00:00

Right now you add new controls to "Custom" so I have to go into the config and move things around...it'd be nice to get that option in the UI

1) Where you want it to go
2) If you EVEN want it to appear in the config (sometimes I'm making controls for templates, and forget to remove them from "Custom"

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi Steve,

If you use Thunder you have the ability to specify the place where the widget will take place. For example if you want your custom widget to be in the Users section, when registering the user control you could choose this section and the user control will be registered and visible there.

Could you please elaborate on what you are trying to achieve? Are you trying to move custom widgets using drag and drop functionality in the backend from one section to another. For instance moving you custom widget from Users to Content section?

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jan-2013 00:00

I exclusively use thunder, that's what I mean

screencast.com/.../DVNwZSoEwxy 

There's no asking, it always throws it into "Custom" in the toolbox where it SHOULD ask me where or if I even want to register it there (again, I might not...might just be a widget to place on a template with markup)

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi Steve,

www.screencast.com/.../LWG9O04rFDH

If you right click the folder and click "Add new item" it will add it to the specified folder and not custom. If you're adding it from File > New > File it will go into custom but that's better than going into the root of the project like other project types. Being a visual studio extension there's only so much control we have over that. If you want your widgets in a specific folder right click that folder and add the file from there. As far as registering in the toolbox.config creating it as a regular .ascx file, you can use Thunder to register it wherever you'd like in the config.

Kind regards,
Patrick Dunn
the Telerik team

Hey Patrick,
  I don't think you're understanding what I mean :)  I've made the better part of 50 thunder widgets, I know what she can do ;)

So using the example you just put in of MyWidget1, if you build and fire up SF it will exist in the toolbox under "Custom" at the bottom.

So again, I might not even WANT it registered in the toolbox, but likely 99% of the time I don't want it in some generic "Custom" bucket right? :)  I'm not talking physical files, clearly it's going where I put it...(although there is still a bug where its not always putting the path to the LayoutTemplate in properly, its generic to like ~/Placeholder/.../.../Widget1.ascx instead of where I created it.)

I think perhaps the video didn't make it clear...I don't want thunder to make me folders (outside of the Designer one)...I want toolbox options in the VSIX, not just create, name, done.

Hell take it one step further and let me generate it w/out the default "Message" placeholders I have to remove from all the files every new widget.

To Summarize the request
- Dialog like we get when we add a designer to existing widget
- Options to pick which toolbox it gets registered under...or no registration at all

Hi Steve,

After watching your video, I understood what you mean. I have discussed this feature request with our Thunder team and they inform me that this feature request has already been planned and will be implemented really soon.

Note that both of your requests will be include.

Kind regards,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Oh fantastic!

Sorry to re-hijack...what about the ability to define properties for the widget in a VSIX designer on a new widget (or optionally to not have it put in the default "Message")

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions.

At the moment we are discussing whether the designer will be optional. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

This thread is closed