Solution Settings

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 19:56

Solution Settings

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Aug-2013 00:00

Can you let us persist some sort of solution settings such that when I open said solution it defaults to a specific connection

Expert level: Let me set only specific connections per solution (or specific ones only visible)

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Aug-2013 00:00

Hello Steve,

It is a nice proposal however this is a deployment feature and it is project specific. Each company or client have its own way for making the deployment and different bits of configuration or even different web.configs.

So what you are asking is achievable by making an MSBuild and hooking to that build and changing the configurations or the web.config after compilation of the solution and instead of making a solution properties maybe it will be better if we make a knowledge base article explaining how to make a deployment procedure where you may want to have different configs per different environment and maybe different web.configs as well.

Indeed it will be good if it is build in, in the generated solution as well at some point. Thanks for the proposal.

Regards,
Nayden Gochev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Aug-2013 00:00

Ummm, perhaps you didnt understand the request?

You know how you can create solution preferences in webessentials such that when that solution is opened WE configures itself with those options...thats all I was asking for with thunder....not sure why you'd classify this as a deployment feature

Hello Steve,

I understand you correctly of course this solution setting will be helpful during development because you will have different settings during development from the actual deployment environment and it will help. However as I said many companies have different deployments for example it is completely normal to have a development env that you are speaking about but it is also normal to have acceptance environment that you show to the client every 2 weeks what is done and maybe production  environment that you make deployments every 2 months and etc and maybe you have server which makes this builds for you each day or each night and this deployments and you are not doing them from WE each time maybe at 3AM during the night and etc. :) So I was just saying that we should think about more general solution of the problem with different configurations and settings.

I will submit both as PITS feature requests.
first is at that location PITS Issue: Public URL
second one is here : Public URL

Regards,
Nayden Gochev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

You sure you're following? :)

WE=WebEssentials...this ticket is for Thunder settings

What would build\deploy have anything to do with it?  Well I suppose if you're thinking which connection loads at startup

But easier than that I just want to say Project 1 has Yx3 connecitons.  Project 2 has Zx3 connections.  Not (like right now) All Projects have all connections.

Suppose there could be an "All connections" tab or something...but like if I load Project 1 I don't want to have it connect to Project 2 and I accidentally update a widget template for it which ends up borking a different project\site.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello Steve,
yes copy paste error :) I edited it : )

about the build/deploy well ones you hit run it is like a deployment :) so that's why I was saying deploy of course thunder is great while developing but we need a more general solution for real production deployments which usually are done from automated system that's why the other pits is about.

The setting in thunder to include for which project is this connection should be easy doable I hope the thunder team will make it :)

Regards,
Nayden Gochev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello Steve,

As I follow the conversation it seems that Nayden got little confused. Your suggestion is really nice. Right now we have only settings per connection not per solution. We're planning to make some changes on the connection settings window and may be if you are able to group your connections you will be able to manage this better. What do you think of that?

Regards,
Ivan Georgiev | Sitefin1ty
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Sep-2013 00:00

(attached)

Actually, the "Connections" would be part of the solution settings is what I mean.  When I have a project loaded it shows me the connections for that project and I can set a default to connect to.  Where right now it's not really "safe" in that I could be connected to Solution A while having Solution B in visual studio.

...so the mockup gives me all my connections if I need them, but only shows the ones for this project in tab1.

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello Steve,

I logged a Feature request directly to the Thunder Development team. They will have in mind your suggestion when they consider new functionality to be developed.
Thank you once again for sharing with us this idea!  

Regards,
Miroslava
Telerik

This thread is closed