Sitefinity Thunder connects, but no widget templates show up

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 17:20

Sitefinity Thunder connects, but no widget templates show up

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2013 00:00

When I connect to one of my local Sitefinity projects using Thunder, no website templates or common widget templates appear in Sitefinity Explorer.  The connection is active and whenever I refresh it says that I've successfully connected.  

Things I've tried:
- This is happening for one particular project, Thunder is working fine with my other Sitefinity projects
- I've tried re-installing the Thunder module
- I've double checked the credentials used in the connection

Why aren't my templates appearing?

Thanks,
Matt

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello Matt,

I suspect there is some problem with your connection.
Make sure you have latest Thunder version - update it from Visual Studio Tools >> Extensions and Updates and after update re-install Thunder in your Sitefinity project.
You may also try to create a different admin user for thunder.

Let me know if you need additional directions/assistance.

Regards,

Vassil Vassilev
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Sep-2013 00:00

Hi Vassil,

Thanks for the response.  I should have had this in the OP, but I have the latest version of Sitefinity Thunder and the project is using Sitefinity 5.4.4020.0.  

I've also tried adding another admin user, and once again I am encountering the same problem.  To re-iterate, I am able to connect and get a notice saying that everything has "connected successfully," but within Sitefinity Explorer all I see are the headers for Website Templates and Common Widget Templates, with nothing underneath them.

Thanks,
Matt

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Oct-2013 00:00

Hello Matt,

I`ve successfully downloaded and set-up your project and indeed there is some issue with Thunder. I will need some time to investigate this problem and as soon have some result I will write you back.

Regards,
Vassil Vassilev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Oct-2013 00:00

Hi Vassil,

Thanks for taking a look at my project.  I'm glad you were able to verify that there is a problem and I'm not going crazy haha.  Please let me know as soon as you find a solution.

In the meantime, do you know of a way to create a Dynamic Items Field Control Selector without using Thunder?  If I am able to do that, then I should be able to continue work on my project.

Thanks,
Matt

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Oct-2013 00:00

Hello Matt,

Regarding the other question for Dynamic Items Field Control Selector - there is a Sitefinity Documentation covering this topic.

Regards,

Vassil Vassilev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Oct-2013 00:00

Hi Vassil,

Thanks for the response.  I've already tried going through the steps in that documentation, and when I did, I also reached a roadblock that is related to my issue with Sitefinity Thunder.  

When I go to add the selector, during Step 4 of the documentation I reach a screen that says I have no dynamic modules.  It also will not let me check the "register a virtual path" box.  I think I reach this screen because technically I am connected to the Thunder, but there are no modules appearing.  If you have any suggestions on how to solve this problem, please let me know.

Thanks,
Matt

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Oct-2013 00:00

I'm having a similar issue...fiddler shows the connection happens but then I get a weird can't append headers error, and no templates appear in VS2012.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Oct-2013 00:00

@Matt

My problem was that I was logged in in the backend (browser) and have a SBE License. Only one concurrent user - remember.

I could connect with thunder but not get any templates. As soon as I logged out it worked.

Maybe you have to many concurrent users as well

@Telerik

Here we go again.

1) How about a default role in Backend 'Thunder' which only lets connect via thunder nothing else and not counting to concurrent users

2) How about when connecting informing us 'max number of concurrent users reached. Log-off at least one to connect

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Oct-2013 00:00

Anyone getting this, can you open fiddler and see if your result is what I'm seeing too (attached)

@markus that's not what I'm seeing...doesn't matter which user I use or their logged in status...nothing shows in the explorer

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Oct-2013 00:00

Hello guys,

I just wanted to let you know that we are looking into this issue and we will post an update here once we have resolved and what was causing it.

Regards,
Atanas Valchev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Oct-2013 00:00

I've also been having this issue for a while... I can't recall which version broke this functionality for me though.  I just upgraded to the latest version (1.2.9.0), but still no templates appear... Is everyone else using the latest version also?

I have had a ticket open for a couple weeks...I just keep getting it blamed on me, they're supposed to debug it sometime, but no idea when that's happening.

Mike, can you try the fiddler trick for me please just quick?  ...just see if you get the same error?
www.sitefinity.com/.../8da91b87-4cb5-6f77-96ac-ff0000ae3c70_thunder.png

D'oh! I meant to include in my first reply that I'm not seeing what you're seeing Steve.  When/how do you see that message Steve?  Just logging into the backend?  

It's in fiddler...can you post what fiddler shows you when you try to connect with thunder?

I know it's in Fiddler :)  Forgive my naiveté, but I am unsure how you got that?  I'm not too well versed in using Fiddler...Are you attaching Fiddler to VS?    AND  IT'S THE DAMDEST THING!  IT LITERALLY JUST STARTED WORKING!  Really really weird...  

Oh give me a break, gd it thunder... :/

Okay, well fiddler monitors *ALL* Http\https traffic moving through your PC...vs\browser independent.  So like I would open fiddler then try to connect in thunder, then watch what's being returned by the site (inspecting the JSON which you can't do in VS)

I really am puzzled... I had tried literally 3 times this morning (trying to do your Fiddler trick), and it wouldn't work.  I installed the new version of Thunder to a different site, closed and restarted VS and then Thunder connected (not to the site I had just installed it to, though) and was able to get the Templates. I still can't get Fiddler to see anything when I connect with Thunder...

Gotta be a fiddler setting, only thing I can maybe say to try is uninstall\reinstall?

Telerik support had the same problem, asked them to clear the local fiddler cache and re-install, they started capturing traffic to it again.

No point though if the problem doesn't exist for you still :/

Well.... I just tried some other instances and it's NOT working for them.  I can connect fine to all my instances, but I can only get the widget templates from the one...  I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling Fiddler to see if that does it...

Are you using Fiddler2 or Fiddler4?

Fiddler Web Debugger (v2.4.5.0 beta)
Built: August 14, 2013

Hmmm...  Well, I uninstalled the v4 I had, opted to remove all Fiddler related settings, and then I installed v2.4.5.3... but I'm still not seeing anything that happens outside a browser...  Digging through settings and whatnot now...  I still can only get the widget templates from that one instance. 

I figured out what causes me to not get the templates.  All the instances I tried were set up to use an STS site.  Once I change the config to not use an external security token issuer, I can get the widget templates just fine.  However, it would be REALLY nice if Thunder worked in that scenario.  90% of what I work on is internal facing sites that have SSO via LDAP set up.  I believe that's a bug in Thunder... not working with an external STS.  

Steve, I also figured out why I couldn't see the Thunder connections in Fiddler.  I had only tried sites running on localhost, which Fiddler doesn't like.  So, I just tweaked my Thunder connections and I can now see the traffic... but it's a bit of a moot point now I suppose... 

This thread is closed