VS 2015 support for Thunder

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 09:40

VS 2015 support for Thunder

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Aug-2015 00:00

Any ideas when Thunder will be available in VS 2015?

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Aug-2015 00:00

Hi,

Visual Studio 2015 has not been tested and supported yet. Supported Sitefinity Visual Studio versions are Visual Studio 2010, 2012, 2013 as listed in the following article of our documentation.

I am afraid that I am not able to provide a exact Sitefinity release version which will include support for Visual Studio 2015 and when Thunder will be available.

Excuse us for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Aug-2015 00:00

I really miss Thunder.  Too bad it doesn't support VS 2015 yet.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Aug-2015 00:00

Does anyone know if just adding VS 2015 to the list of <SupportedProducts> in the vsizmanifest file will do the trick?  Is it that simple?

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Aug-2015 00:00

I renamed the vsix file to zip.  Added 14 to the manifest, renamed it back to vsix and it installed.  VS 2015 errored once when it loaded but things seemed to work.  I uninstalled for now.  I'll wait for a real build rather than a hacked vsix.  It seems like if I had the source code, everyone wouldn't be waiting months for 2015 Thunder extension.

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Sep-2015 00:00

I must admit this is starting to be annoying now as I want to uninstall VS 2013 and just work with VS 2015.

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Sep-2015 00:00

Echoing the sentiment - for an enterprise solution, the lack of parity with developer tools such as VS2015 is disappointing and frustrating.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Sep-2015 00:00

Are you saying that you're using VS2015 with Sitefinity projects w/o any problems (obviously w/o thunder)?  If so can I ask what versions of Sitefinity have worked?  All my projects are still 7.3

I have to agree though, it's frustrating to be stuck on old versions of VS

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Sep-2015 00:00

Hi.  Can you please give us some kind of indication on a timeline?  I am not asking for something hard and fast, but just an indicator.  Your previous response does not even indicate that you are working on it at all.

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Sep-2015 00:00

I don't believe that VS2015 is supported at all yet - regardless of Thunder.

I discovered this when a project failed to build (for debug purposes) and the advice from tech support was to install VS2013

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Sep-2015 00:00

Ugh. That's terrible.
Come on Sitefinity. Let us know what the status and future is here.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Sep-2015 00:00

Hi all,

Based on popular request, we started work on providing VS 2015 support.
Our plans are to deliver it that in the coming Sitefinity 8.2 release (to be released around 22 October).

Stay tuned.

Regards,
Kalina
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

That's great news to finally hear.

Will this also include updating Thunder?

That is awesome news. I'm glad it didn't die off. You had us worried there for a bit.

Yay!  Sounds like a good time to move to 8.x!

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Oct-2015 00:00

I take it VS 2015 support didn't happen given I don't see anything in the notes for 8.2?

On Monday, there is a new Thunder that will install for VS 2015 https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/381fde64-9898-4a5d-ae20-861e119bbf92  but from what I learned yesterday a lot of the 8.2 stuff in Thunder wasn't put in.  So it's VS2015 but not 8.2 or not all the planned things were put in.  At least I don't have to install VS2013 anymore and just let the updates happen now that Thunder supports 2015.

Telerik Sitefinity Thunder  1.5.0.1
Added support for Sitefinity 8.2.
Added support for Visual Studio 2015 (Known issue: In case of failed connection after update of Thunder module, you should refresh manually connection to your site in a couple of seconds needed to restart the site.) 

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Nov-2015 00:00

Great news guys. 

i have tried Thunder on Visual Studio 2015 with Sitefinity Website 8.0 (cannot remember minor version). I keep getting "Failed to connect" error.

- I have installed the Thunder Module

- Create an user for  Thunder (An admin, logged in with it on Web Interface succesfully)

-Link and everything is right. 

I am wondering that whether i should be updating to 8.2 or not to get Thunder working? If not where can i see the errors or Thunder ?

Thanks a lot 

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Nov-2015 00:00

Hi,

I would like to inform you that I have created a new KB article connected to Sitefinity and Thunder support of Visual Studio 2015. The article is available on the following URL

Visual Studio 2015 is supported by Sitefinity 8.2 version. In case you are experiencing some Thunder installation problems please refer to the other KB article we created.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Nov-2015 00:00

Looks like a small bug with VS 2015 + Thunder exists when I save a change to any widget template it looks to save but does not execute the publish event although it looks like it does. thus not updating the localhost version of the widget template.

Tried the same process in VS 2013 and works fine.

Using SF 8.1, must our solution be updated to 8.2 to work with VS 2015 + Thunder successfully?

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Nov-2015 00:00

I haven't seen that yet.  If I were you, I would probably start a new thread on that one.  Since Thunder shipped and this isn't a bug related to install but using it, it might be good to start a new thread.  You could also start a support ticket with your exact build versions.  If you do a support ticket and you want to share, post in the new post so we all can see it.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Nov-2015 00:00

Cheers Aaron,

New thread started, I will aim to keep the thread updated as I hear from SF support too.

http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/bugs-issues-/vs-2015-thunder-save-publish-of-widget-template-fails-to-update 

This thread is closed