Thunder fails to install on VS2015, VS2013

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 14:25

Thunder fails to install on VS2015, VS2013

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Mar-2017 00:00

I've installed Sitefinity V10 trial.

When trying to install Thunder on VS 2015 and even VS2013, I get this error message: "Sequence contains no elements".

Right after, VS crashes

I've tried the stand-alone version of the extension that came with the trial, I've tried downloading the latest from your site, I've even tried directly from the extension manager.

All throw the same errors.

As it is, I cannot evaluate Thunder.

Please help.

Kind regards,

Nestor

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Mar-2017 00:00

Hi, no comments?

Is it even possible to run Thunder from Visual Studio, or is it a dead product?

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Mar-2017 00:00

Hi Nestor,

I had a HUGE amount of trouble getting Thunder to work with VS 2015.  I ended up completely uninstalling (I hunted down and removed every trace of it on the last attempt) and then reinstalling Visual Studio more than once.

I can tell you that you need to go to the Visual Studio gallery page and download it from there, and only install using that download.  There is a link to the gallery page here.  I do not know why this is the only source that works, but it is (makes no sense to me, why not have the correct version everywhere?).

Also, if you have a paid license attached to your account, you might consider opening a ticket.  They are much more responsive on that channel.

I wish you t he best.  It took me over a month to get it going.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Mar-2017 00:00

Thanks Brian.

If I'll have to go through all that trouble to install this product, I better recommend my company not to purchase it and explore other options.

Cheers.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Mar-2017 00:00

While I can understand the sentiment, what Thunder does is make things easier (sometimes much easier).  All of that can still be done in other ways without Thunder (at least everything I have tried to do).  I have used a lot of different CMSs over the years, including SharePoint and DNN.  This is by far my favorite to work on.  Even without Thunder, most of it is much easier for me to accomplish than what I had to go through with the others.

I do think that they need to do a better job of how to do things both with and without Thunder - i.e. have a section for both on the same page where appropriate.  Not only would it help those with the problem we have both experienced, it would help everyone understand what is going on under the hood and make us better SF devs.

I also think it would be good for them to develop a lightweight stand alone tool that can use Thunder outside of Visual Studio, again for people experiencing the issue.

Finally, they really should start working on the new version of VS's Thunder as soon as is practical, instead of waiting until after the RTM (at least it appears that way from the outside).  Thunder should be ready to go right out of the box when a new version of VS is released, and I believe VS 2015 took way too long.

This thread is closed